Late ice conditions for southern Lake Champlain

Reports and ice fishing forums for Vermont.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Jim111

Late ice conditions for southern Lake Champlain

Postby EyceWalker » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:46 pm

I just wanted to give a short report of conditions on the southern end of Lake Champlain from the Fort Ticonderoga ferry crossing in a town called Shoreham south to the narrows near Peter's Bay which is just south of the Benson Landing on the Vermont shoreline in a town called Benson. I made a day trip to do some late ice jig fishing on 03/29/14. I caught some very nice white crappie and perch on small jigs and some great pike when I upsized to bigger jigs. There was 1-6 inches of water on top of the ice. Some water was clear and clean, some water was murky and dirty which made it hard to see any bad places to avoid. Any old fishing hole had water swirling down which was making them bigger as the day went on. I still found 23-26 inches of ice when I drilled a new hole. But the first 6 inches was very soft. Any streams coming into the lake were open with moving water. The shore line was getting very soft from the local traffic from all season. I did see a few other fisherman out on the lake and talked to a few locals. They didn't seemed concerned about ice thickness, but warned me of some dangerous areas near culverts and brooks both on NY and VT shores. They were fairly easy to spot from quite a distance thankfully. I hope to return to this area again next season earlier in the year. Be careful out there fellow fisherman, and I hope this information was a help.
Your friend, EyceWalker
EyceWalker

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: Late ice conditions for southern Lake Champlain

Postby dylan8351 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:52 pm

Thanks for the update. Up North on the lake is decent but they are putting trucks through daily. Some people don't get it...
dylan8351

Re: Late ice conditions for southern Lake Champlain

Postby EyceWalker » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:43 pm

Sadly, the ice season is coming to an end, we'll be in the boat soon enough. Stay safe everyone on the ice.
Your friend, EyceWalker
EyceWalker

Return to Vermont Ice Fishing