Wormy Perch!

Talk about perch fishing through the ice - get your yellow perch fill here.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Jim111

Would you eat wormy perch?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes : 10

Wormy Perch!

Postby bradleyroy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:14 pm

What is up with those little grub/maggot looking things i found in my perch today??? can i still eat them? what are they?
bradleyroy

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Postby hardwateraddict » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:03 am

you can eat them that way. read an article in sports afield some years back saying it was safe as long as you cooked them thoughly. or better yet, take the tip of your fillet knife and on a slight angle pierce the affected area and the little critter will pop out. done this myself hundreds of times rather than chuck a quality fish.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hardwateraddict

Re: Wormy Perch!

Postby Levisice » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:26 am

I've done the same and never got sick...
Levisice

Postby surflizard » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:17 am

A lot of the warm water species pick up the parasites during the hot summer season and they usually die off once the water cools down. Most people wouldn't eat Cod or Haddock either if they saw the worms in them when ya first fillet them in the fall ! I have only found one pond here locally where the fish carry the parasites thru the winter and I choose not to fish it because of the high bacteria levels in the pond.
Image Drifter Stix Rule the Hardwater
surflizard

Postby dylan8351 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:58 pm

I eat them unless they are really bad. Certain bodies of water are worse than others but mainly I like ponds where fish cruise basins and stay out of the weeds. Below I posted one of the cycle for the yellow grub that is very common.

The life cycle begins as fertile eggs (2) produced by adult flukes (1) which live in the mouth of the heron (7). The eggs are shed to open water as the heron feeds. The first stage larvae, called miracidia (3), emerge from the eggs and penetrate a suitable snail host (4). Within the snail, miracidia undergo numerous cycles of asexual reproduction in various developmental phases after which second stage larvae, called cercariae (5), emerge from the snail and swim about in search of a suitable fish host, such as the yellow perch (6). Cercariae penetrate the fish and encyst to assume the third larval stage - metacercariae (6), also known as grubs. When the infested fish is consumed by the heron, the metacercariae excyst (come out of the cyst) and become adult flukes (1) in the mouth of the heron, thus completing the cycle.

dylan8351

Postby surflizard » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:30 pm

Outstanding post Dylan, thats the diagram that all of the wormy fish posts needed, Well Done ! :thumb:
Image Drifter Stix Rule the Hardwater
surflizard

Return to Perch