Favorite pike rigs

Discuss ice fishing for northern pike - from tip ups to slammers to jigging; everything gators.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Jim111

Favorite pike rigs

Postby Nick Roehl » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:55 pm

I like to use tip-ups to catch big pike. I use a wire leader with a large treble hook pushed through a large smelt. I know some guys use hotdogs as well that is something I haven't tried yet.
What do you guys do to ice big pike?
Nick Roehl
Site Admin

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: Favorite pike rigs

Postby jman164 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:26 pm

hi... i went last friday on the quebec side in about 6' of water we had a 1/2 oz-1oz sinker and about 12 " up and leader with 2/0 long shank hooks and it worked for every kind of fish we caught walleye sauger pike and perch well to come back to the pike i took a small size minnow we'll say 3" hooked right behind the dorsal fin but farther down the spine because if it hits the organs it ill die (if you didnt know). and not even 15 min an 8.4 lbs pike on the line we stayed for about 4 hours and 3 pike 2 walleye 1 sauger and 12 perch but the thing that suprised me is that when we would set the hook it would never come off it took me about 40 sec for the 8 lbs pike to come up the hole we got that trick from a local fisherman oh and we would have 45 lbs tip up line braid ... jony
jman164

Re: Favorite pike rigs

Postby Nick Roehl » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:58 pm

I use some of the same set ups to catch mixed bags of fish like that. I always love being on a lake where you never know what you will catch on your tip-ups. Congrats on the nice pike, walleye, and perch! :beer:
Nick Roehl
Site Admin

Return to Northern Pike