December 2008 Report

Reports and forum for Ohio Ice Fishing.

Moderators: iowawalleye, networthy

Have you been Ice Fishing in December of 2008?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:05 am

YES
40%
NOT YET
40%
YES and I DON"T RECOMMEND IT...NOT SAFE
No votes
NO and I WONT-NOT SAFE
20%

Total votes : 5

December 2008 Report

Postby Banker » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:05 am

It's getting cold again, small ponds frozen over completely. Ice Fishing gear on Christmas wish list..but the biggest wish of alll...Ice Fishing before Christmas. It happened last year for one weekend and I missed out...so the purpose of this post is to get a feel for how solid these frozen ponds are and if anyone has been out yet? Keep me posted! I think I might give er a try this weekend and will let you know if I get wet :(
Thanks,

Banker
IceFishOhio.com
Pro Staff Member
Banker

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Postby jeffd88 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:53 am

last weekend the ice around lima on small ponds was almost 2 inches, so i thought for sure i could get on this weekend, but no such luck. i checked a pond by bluffton yesterday morning and the first 5 feet from shore was too thin to step on, ice out further looked good though. just too warm lately. have heard indian lake has 2-3 inches in channels, but don't know for sure. long drive for me to find out it isn't. were you able to get on this weekend?
jeffd88

Postby Banker » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:56 pm

Yep- went to Indian Lake Saturday and there was at most 1" in the canals- some canals had such a thin layer that when I went to check with my auger I could actually push through to break the ice...definitely not saf and with this rainy weather we will have to have another 8 days and nights below freezing to be able to fish before Christmas...still hoping though. Last year I heard of some that got to go out in December and was upset that I waited till January..God willing we will get some good ice and have a long ice fishing season- alot to ask for in central Ohio sometimes but I am hopeful! :)
Thanks,

Banker
IceFishOhio.com
Pro Staff Member
Banker

Indian

Postby OhioFisher » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:45 pm

Guys have been on the ice already at indian
OhioFisher

Postby jeffd88 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:46 am

i got on sunday afternoon for about 1 1/2 hrs. 5 bluegill. ice was 2-2 1/2 inches thick on farm pond. didn't really care for ice that thin, but had to get on. it was great!
jeffd88

Postby Banker » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:13 am

I was out on Indian Lake Tuesday in the rain. There was about 6 others out there with me- 2-3inches of ice catching blue gill mostly small off of Long island in about 3 feet of water using green and chartruse. I personally caught 3 before quiting 2 hrs into it- rain was cold. But the fishing...ice fishing was fun. BPS mentioned that people had been out fishing since Friday the 5th...I mentioned that there was really warm temperatures on Tuesday and Wednesday of that week and they said that a few went out but more were out Saturday and Sunday. Monday they killed em. Tuesday small ones - rain 45 Wednesday warm- Today cold- tomorrow colder- we might be icefishing again Saturday morning. I would advise waiting to go out till you see someone else around first. 8)
Thanks,

Banker
IceFishOhio.com
Pro Staff Member
Banker

Return to Ohio Ice Fishing