Still "early" ice

Reports and forum for North Dakota Ice Fishing.

Moderator: iowawalleye

Still "early" ice

Postby undsiouxma13 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:50 pm

The weather sure has kept our heads in the "early" ice train of thought... and most methods of early ice are still producing for the most part. Heck you can't even drive on the majority of lakes! Has anyone been finding any special tactics that have been working in this drawn out early ice better than others? We have been trying many different spots we haven't fished, not many have turned out but you can't find new fish without moving! As easy as it is to set up by the guides house, the lack of snow has made things very much easier. How has it been for you?
undsiouxma13

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: Still "early" ice

Postby nodakoutdoors.com » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:17 pm

We're still fishing SHALLOW. Almost all my quality fish have come on Darters. I rip the heck out of them to get the attention of the fish...it's been working well for us but that's just been my go to baits for years now!
nodakoutdoors.com
Site Admin

Postby undsiouxma13 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:31 pm

Been on Devils Chris or just Audubon? Devils they are still up fairly shallow.. slipping slightly deeper but not much. I haven't had the best of luck there yet this winter, been kind of trying new spots.
undsiouxma13

Postby nodakoutdoors.com » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:25 am

undsiouxma13 wrote:Been on Devils Chris or just Audubon? Devils they are still up fairly shallow.. slipping slightly deeper but not much. I haven't had the best of luck there yet this winter, been kind of trying new spots.

I am a complete JINX when it comes to Devils Lake. I either have great fishing or I get skunked. I love the lake during the spring/summer/fall though.

I normally fish Audubon or Lake Oahe for walleyes and occasionally hit up smaller lakes for perch....which there are a lot going right now.
nodakoutdoors.com
Site Admin

Postby undsiouxma13 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:50 pm

Tell me about it! Well winter at least... summer usually no problems at Devils rarely ever.. I fished Audubon one time that's a little ways from my neck of the woods to frequently visit..
undsiouxma13

Return to North Dakota Ice Fishing