What everyone use to catch smelt

A Smelt fishing forum for those who pursue them in the winter.

Moderator: iowawalleye

What everyone use to catch smelt

Postby webster » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:32 pm

What everyone use to catch smelt. I have not fished for them in 30 years we use to use special hooks with little slabs of smelt for bait
webster

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: What everyone use to catch smelt

Postby Jim111 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:00 pm

I use Hali jigs solely, medium to large size and numerous "glow " colors with a small piece of worm or a spike for bait. About 18 inches above Hali jig I tie a dropper hook (#10 size) with again, a small piece of worm for bait. Often get doubles this way.

-Jim
FLAG!
Jim111

Postby Flag Up » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:16 am

Like Jim said except I use small to medium hali's and #14 hooks.
In dog beers I've only had one.
Flag Up

Postby webster » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:48 pm

I have not fished with hali's yet I can feel another trip to dockside coming on those are the ones with the small chains
webster

Postby Jim111 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:55 pm

Yep, those are the ones. I like the silver and/or blue combinations or any of the glow colors for smelt. Perch like 'em too. -Jim
FLAG!
Jim111

Postby magnumPR » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:58 am

we typically use small hali jigs (typically glow perch type, but the jewelled small glow fish has worked well also) and i have been using a #14 or #16 trebel hook with one hook cut off... we generally start out with a small piece of shrimp (uncooked) or spikes.... once there are some smelts on the ice we cut out their eyes and use them for bait... so far, its a no-fail set-up! we tried some brown trout eggs too and they worked ok, but they are a pain to work with...
one thing i like about fishing.... you always catch something: fish, buzz, cold
magnumPR

Postby Jim111 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:21 pm

I've always had my best luck with a small piece of crawler or worm on the single hook of a Hali jig. I usually have a #8 or #10 dropper hook tied 18 inches above the jig too, again with a small piece of worm or crawler. We often scores doubles this way.
-Jim
FLAG!
Jim111

Postby WallyEye » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:41 pm

If ya wanna try a new bait that outfishes anything 10 to 1 is try a piece of smelt meat, yes smelt meat cut right down next to the spine and put a piece on... That's what some people use here in MI , not alot of people know it...

And let me know how it goes...
WallyEye

Postby Jim111 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:04 pm

The main reason we use a small piece of worm is that it works so much better than a small piece of smelt meat and stays on the hook much longer! We used to use smelt meat, as did everyone else here. That trend has changed, now that baitshops carry worms and crawlers in the winter now. They never used to. 30 years ago I had to import my own crawlers and worms, from out of state, for use on trout, panfish and smelt. Try them both and see what works best for you. -Jim
FLAG!
Jim111

Postby ButchT » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:49 pm

Use a razor blade to cut small strips of raw chicken skin. You can color it with food coloring and/or use your favorite attractant scent. It is tough and will stay on your hook for a long time, through many smelt. I use the strips in different sizes for perch, gills, and 'eyes as well,, on jigs and jigging spoons.
ButchT

Postby bui boater » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:56 pm

#10 hook and a loose string off my fuzzy hat.the string catches in their mouth, and you can shake em off in the bucket.
it didnt smell like that when i ate it
bui boater

Return to Smelt