Lights?

A Smelt fishing forum for those who pursue them in the winter.

Moderator: iowawalleye

Lights?

Postby Valheru » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:52 am

Hey All,
I've tried a couple of different lights for attracting smelt, and met with mixed results. Any recommendations on which light to get? Green or white? LED or fluorescent? And what about care? I have one light that says not to power it up out of the water because the bulb is too hot, so I leave it in the water to cool for a few minutes after I turn it off, not sure if that's the bulb burned out after only three trips or what. I usually pamper the heck out of my equipment so it wasn't getting dropped around or anything.
Valheru

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: Lights?

Postby Flag Up » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:24 pm

http://www.optronicsinc.com/fishing-new.html#fishnlites

I have the UW-300 and the UW-300G. The 300 requires a car battery if you want it to last more than a few hours. This year I picked up the 300G becouse it draws 1 amp per hour. Now I power it with my spare vex battery. Both work well and I see no difference so far except the 300G dropped about 75lbs off from my load. :thumb:
In dog beers I've only had one.
Flag Up

Postby durky870 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:27 pm

Not sure what brand lights they are but we have 2 24in green light and a 18in green with a white bulb on bottom. It seems the one with white light on it works better when we are fishing in 25fow or less.
Joshua Durecki
durky870

Postby magnumPR » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:53 am

We have been smelting using LED lights that i made. they are mostly white, although i do use a couple red green and blue for some variation. I have one solid green LEd light as well and so far, there is not one that works better than the others, that is to say, the smelt are drawn in by them all the same. My big question is with the brightness of the lights... so far, bright full power seems to do the same as dim quarter power... unfortunately the lights run of 12 or 24Volts and still require a car battery although a lawn mower battery would work fine for about 12 hours... each unit draws up to 1amp depending on brightness.. if anyone is interested in the lights, contact ledsupply.com... i am trying to get my buddy who runs the site to start making and selling this style LED light for the fishing community.. hopefully we will have them available by next season.
one thing i like about fishing.... you always catch something: fish, buzz, cold
magnumPR

Postby Valheru » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:32 pm

Thanks for the tips all.
Valheru

Postby byronbaitskimmer » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:25 am

I make my own real cheap. All you need is about two 12ft pieces of wire or a chord off of something, a 12 trailer light bulb, and some solder. Take the bulb and solder one piece of wire to the bottom of the bulb making sure not to touch the brass. Next take the other piece of wire and solder it to the brass. If you want you can tape these together to make them more sturdy. Next take a small jar like a pickle or olive jar and drill a couple holes in the top. Run the wires through one hole and pull the bulb up to the lid. Put the lid on the jar, hook the wires to a battery and your good to go. With this set up you must fill up the jar with water before turning on the light or the bulb will pop. I use one in my shanty for extra light also. I have run as many as 4 lights off one battery in a night of fishing.
byronbaitskimmer

Postby Valheru » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:33 am

Great idea - thanks! I'm all for cheap, and that sounds like a project the kid would enjoy.
Valheru

Postby VirgilMcguire » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:50 pm

Valheru wrote:Hey All,
I've tried a couple of different lights for attracting smelt, and met with mixed results. Any recommendations on which light to get? Green or white? led lighting or fluorescent? And what about care? I have one light that says not to power it up out of the water because the bulb is too hot, so I leave it in the water to cool for a few minutes after I turn it off, not sure if that's the bulb burned out after only three trips or what. I usually pamper the heck out of my equipment so it wasn't getting dropped around or anything.

Hello friend which lights have you got? I am looking to get new lights so please help me with your experience..Waiting for reply thanks in advance:)
VirgilMcguire

Postby 56987 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:26 pm

Welcome to the site Virgil!
:welcome:

This post is old and has had no action since 2011.
You might have better luck posting in the Ice Fishing Equipment Fourm.
Rick

Return to Smelt