Bay of Quinte - Ice Conditions

Reports and forum for Ontario Ice Fishing.

Moderators: iowawalleye, 56987

Bay of Quinte - Ice Conditions

Postby Jeff_C » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:08 am

Hello all.

I am new to this forum. I am from Belleville, Ontario, Canada, and I fish the Bay of Quinte. Once the hardwater season comes, you can't get me off of the ice. If you have any questions anytime re ice conditions, etc., feel free to PM me or send an email. We began this year's hardwater season last Friday and were able to fish until about Sunday night. After that, the mild weather and rain had softened the ice too much. Currently we have a lot of open water with a couple of non-current areas having up to 4.5" of ice. I am currently out of town, but will be back out there again on Friday night or Saturday and will have some more details on the ice conditions then.

The main problem right now is that once these open areas freeze up, if we have any snow on the ice, you could be walking on 4-5" of hard ice and the next step be on a 1/2".

Be safe if you are coming to the Bay of Quinte.

Safety first, fish second...

Have a happy hardwater season.

Jeff

P.S. Here is what we are after... Bay of Quinte 32" Walleye (This one wasn't caught by me, it is Ryan, one of my fishing partners.)

Jeff_C

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Yeah that snow doesnt help any

Postby fishman644 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:22 pm

We had a little ice starting here on Lake Erie then it snowed about 8 inches on top of what little we had. Luckily the wind came up and blew it all out so we can start over and maybee get some nice clear ice so we can read it better. Oh by the way Nice fish. Did you keep it or release it. Im into taking a pic and releasing the big ones so somebody else can get the feeling of a nice hog in. WTG
fishman644

Postby Jeff_C » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:32 pm

We have a practice of releasing all of the large fish as well, however unfortunately this one was foul hooked and didn't survive. It is too bad, but there wasn't anything that we could do about it.

Jeff
Jeff_C

Yeah that happens to me once in awhile.

Postby fishman644 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:01 pm

They just started to get out a little bit yesterday then we got all this rain and wind so were going to wait a little bit more before we venture out again.
http://www.stoneypointiceguides.com
fishman644

Ice Conditions

Postby Kim » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:29 pm

Hi does anyone know the ice conditions on the Bay of Quinte near North Port or Big Island? :lol:
Kim

Help with Bay of Quinte 2/19/09

Postby vex1 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:03 pm

Hi, I am an avid ice fisherman from northern Pennsylvania. I fish many large bodies of water for walleyes,but always open water. I am going to the Bay of Quinte nxt. week and could really use some tips for those big "eyes". In regard to recommended tackle (and size,color, technique for enticing them to strike). I am usually giving the tips not asking for them, however I have no experience with Big Walleyes through the ice and I know just how fussy they can be. I plan on using 8lb mono w/ a flourocarbon leader (also 8lb.),does this sound right. I am use to using 4lb and finesse fishing, so 8 seems heavy duty to me through the ice. Lastly, what about the jigging pattern-very aggressive working the column?and keep them coming up until they strike or deadsticking?? Any help will be extremely appreciated. Tom
vex1

Return to Ontario Ice Fishing