they wont listen to me

A turkey hunting forum for hunting sketchy turkeys in the spring and the fall.

Moderators: iowawalleye, iceman77

they wont listen to me

Postby durky870 » Fri May 08, 2009 10:48 pm

I am kinda new to turkey hunting but like anything outdoors i'm hooked. the problem i am having is i am not see many birds and i cant get a bird to answer me. my hunt started monday and ive been hunting hard. the one farm my father and i are hunting we have been seeing hens but no jakes or toms. another farm i got permission to hunt has little sign, a few tracks and some scratch marks in the field but other then that not much of anything. i have looked thru stands of trees for droppings on the ground from roosting bird but nothing. i know that the late season can be like the oct. lull like bow hunting (slow). what kind of calling should i use? ive read that this time is when most of the hens are on the nest and the toms are just quiet. should i use hen calls or tom calls? i got a gobble call but that is the only male call i got. do they make tom mouth calls or are they all the same thing? any info would be great. thanks Josh
Joshua Durecki
durky870

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

sunset

Postby fishman31 » Sat May 09, 2009 1:41 pm

Have you tried roosting the birds? By that I mean going out in the last hour before dark. At this time you go out to the areas that you think they may roost in and call with either your shock gobble call or your box call. Most important only make a few calls. Not too many you do not want them to get 1. call shy, 2. to leave the area that they are at and come to you ( this would most likely happen if you had lots of daylight left, the tom would be inclined to move from where he is to seek out this hen call. So then the next morning you would set up where you think he is and find out he went to where you were last.) After roosting a bird you must get to your set up long before light. If you have to use a small flashlight to get there you are getting in the woods at a good time. This is extremely important you want to be setup before they can see you, before they fly down and meet up with the hens and this darkness helps you sneek in without them being overly alarmed.
By hunting like this you may see your success rise.
I have killed all of my birds within the first hour of daylight.
Nathan Krusko
fishman31

Postby durky870 » Sat May 09, 2009 11:39 pm

we have tried glassing from a far to watch where they are roosting but they always disappear in the woods next to our property. i have tried using a few calls before dark but no one will answer. i know im not calling to much because i always read about not calling to much so i limit my calls like one or two calls every 45mins. is that to much or not enough?
Joshua Durecki
durky870

Postby fishman31 » Sun May 10, 2009 8:22 am

How long before dark do you see them go into the woods? Keep in mind given ample daylight they can travel great distances. They have a larger rang than deer. What is the terrain like where you see them go into the woods, and what kind of trees? Yes that is not too much calling. We do probably no more than 3 sets of calling than move on.
Nathan Krusko
fishman31

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum