could use a little help

A turkey hunting forum for hunting sketchy turkeys in the spring and the fall.

Moderators: iowawalleye, iceman77

could use a little help

Postby moto » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:34 pm

I am very much a novice at this. I went out for opening day which will have been about my fifth time going. Last spring got nothing or didn't even heard anything. Last fall did get one by myself so it got me hooked.

So anyways dad and I had an exciting morning two toms gobbling away we worked them for a bout 2 hours. We had one come within ten feet but the brush was so thick the shot was not possible. Well the area had two other fells hunting in the same area and they got the two toms.

So would it be worth going back to the same area and try again?
Do new toms move into an area were other birds have been?

I guess over all I was pretty happy seeing I did scout the week before and saw plenty of signs and put us in the right area but for whatever reason they liked the other guys calls better. I did call and the toms would answer right away.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!
moto

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Postby Adam Bomb » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:58 pm

Well, i would highly suspect thats theres more than just those two toms around. I would keep to your scouting regiment and see if you can roost somemore gobblers. If not, then it may be time to relocate a bit. I just have a feeling theres probably a few more around.

As far as the turkeys going to the other guys, maybe they were positioned where the turkeys want to go. Ive found it much easier to kill a turkey if you set up in the direction he arleady wants to go. Set up on the wrong side and theyll often answer you, but their calls will get fainter and fainter until theyre outta ear shot. Also, unbenounced to you, they may have followed a hen which just happened to be headed to the other hunters calls. Its hard to say, allot can happen that you dont know.

Keep your chin up, youll be fine...By the sounds of it your doing the right things.
Good Luck, Adam
Adam Bomb

Postby moto » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:38 am

Thanks Adam Bomb, It is good to hear that I am in the right heading in the right direction. I will give it another go and see what happens.

Thanks again
moto

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum