Michigan Youth Hunt

A waterfowl hunting forum to discuss hunting ducks and geese.

Moderators: iowawalleye, iceman77

Michigan Youth Hunt

Postby Adam Bomb » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:08 pm

Good luck in the AM if your heading out. Taking my cousin Will out. Scouting the last few days has things looking quite promising. Cant wait for the AM.
Good Luck, Adam
Adam Bomb

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Postby Adam Bomb » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:19 pm

Well, the youth hunt went great. We got out to our spot, set the decoys and we no more than put the boat in the cattails and the birds started pouring in. They were in and out driving us nuts as we waited for shooting time. Finally legal shooting time came and we started the morning with a Pintail. Not long after a drake mallard. From there it was a parade of birds with many misses and then a drake woody. Then the action slowed down for a bit. Finally around 8:45 AM the birds started moving again and he was able to fill out his limit with a mallard and then a double on BW teal right at 9 AM. Ended the morning with 2 mallards, 2 bw teal, 1 wood duck and 1 pintail. Will has killed ducks before, but this was his very first limit. Nice job buddy!!!
Good Luck, Adam
Adam Bomb

Postby Adam Bomb » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:41 pm

Well day two started off much like day one. Set the decoys, got the boat hid the birds were landing in the decoys. Just prior to legal shooting time we had teal buzzing through to no end. Finally time came and a GW teal came through the spread and went belly up duck. Then we experienced a suprising lull for early morning fowlin'. It just went dead, nothing flying, heard very little shooting. Finally things started to pick up about 45 minutes later. Not lots of birds, but at least they were moving a bit. Finally got some to come our way and they came in beautifully cupped and locked back peddling 2' off the water right in the hole. Unfortunately these shots must be too close and too easy cause the little guy couldnt connect to save his heine. I just couldnt believe he was missing these. I kept telling him follow through. I think he was just pointing and shooting as they were so close. Anyhow, after that things slowed right down for awhile again and we only had one teal in the boat and it was starting to get late. Watched allot of black birds for awhile and then finally some activety again when a suzy came in from right to left and Will dumped her just as she got into the hole. Not long after a teal came buzzing through and he busted that one too. Then another. Suddenly we went from 1 duck to 4. After that we had several suzies come in and land in the dekes, circle around teasing us. Finally i spotted a duck coming from the south low just over the cattails. I told Will get ready here comes a blue bill, get ready. Well it came right through the spread but by the time he saw it it was too late. Fortunately it circled right around and came back in where he dumped it in the decoys. After that nothing for quite awhile so we decided to call it quits. Ended the morning one shy of his limit. 2 BW teal, 1 GW teal, 1 hen mallard and a hen BB.

Good Luck, Adam
Adam Bomb

Return to Waterfowl Hunting Forum