slug gun

A place to talk about hunting deer, elk, moose, bear, and other big game in the hardwater offseason.

Moderators: iowawalleye, iceman77

slug gun

Postby moto » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:44 am

I have been looking into getting a slug gun vs. getting a choke or barrel for my beretta. I don't have ton of money to spend. What are some of the choice do I have? I don't really care for a pump stlye would like a bolt action but not sure that is possible.

Thanks for any help.
moto

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Postby T~bag » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:57 am

Just go down to the sporting goods store and pick every gun you think you might like up.....find the one that feels best in your hands and buy it.... if it costs more than you have just wait a few weeks and go pick it up. Buy the gun you want and like best, then you wont need to buy another one for YEARS! just my thoughts on it 8) good luck!
How to ice more keepers? Drill, drill, drill then drill a few more holes.
T~bag

Postby moto » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:34 am

Good point I have to do just that. The fit is the most important. Does just about every manufacture make a slug gun?
moto

Postby Mr.Cumstein » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:44 pm

I don't know if fit is that important for slug hunting. I've used an 870 with a rifled barrel and killed a ton of deer. Also used a Mossburg with a rifled barrel and killed deer. Neither are necessarily comfortable like a Benelli or other high end brands ,I mean if all you are going to do is shoot a couple times at deer ,then why? Not like you're target shooting with a slug gun ,at least you probably won't more than once. Obviously at the end you want it not to fail you. Both brands as will most reputable brands will get the job done if you take good care of the gun. If it was a pheasant or water fowl gun you wanted then i would say fit is important because of the number of shots you'll be taking in comparison and the amount you'll be caring or holding it.
Take a kid fishing
Mr.Cumstein

Return to Big Game Hunting Forum