So Close!

A place to talk about hunting deer, elk, moose, bear, and other big game in the hardwater offseason.

Moderators: iowawalleye, iceman77

So Close!

Postby fish finder » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:35 am

A few months ago during deer season, my father was on our property in Gilboa still hunting with his bow and arrows. He was there for a few hours. My father is pastiont and persistant. Finally, 2 does walk in, right infront of him, like 10 ft away! The first one scattered down the hill a bit. The second one actually came closer, just 5 ft away now! He was about to release the arrow when he noticed the doe was a mother. There were two, 5 month old fawns! He just couldn't shoot her. Being persistant came in handy for my father that day. About 10 min later, a huge 6 point buck came on up the hill! It wouldn't stop walking was the problem. And it was only 15 yd! He finaly stoped about 25 yd now. My father took his shot, only to be disapointed. He missed the deer's spine by an inch. After that miss, the four deer ran away, and stoped where my dad couldn't see them. That first doe never came back after 20 min, so my dad just went home. He came with a prize though. This story!
The harder the challenge, the greater the reward!
fish finder

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Postby Mr.Cumstein » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:13 am

Tell him to grunt at it next time. I will make the noise with my mouth. Try also a whistle, bleat or just a funny noise they'll stop them dead in their tracks, most of the time. I've had big bucks hot on a trail and just don't care what noise they hear.
Take a kid fishing
Mr.Cumstein

Return to Big Game Hunting Forum