Maine Hunting Season

A place to talk about hunting deer, elk, moose, bear, and other big game in the hardwater offseason.

Moderators: iowawalleye, iceman77

Maine Hunting Season

Postby brace » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:48 pm

Greetings All,

WOW, what a brutal season. While my game camera got plenty of action, I only saw 2 deer all season. The tagging station in Abbot Village only tagged 47 deer compared to 112 last year. Other stations have reported similar percentages when compared with past years. If the herd got this decimated last winter then I can live without shooting one I guess.

Anybody got some pics of good deer?
Brian

"Nil Carborundum Illigitimi"
brace

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Postby iceman77 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:23 pm

Today was the frist day of deer here in PA i saw 6 doe but i don't shot them :D
the numbers have gone way down here in the last 5 years you are lucky if you get a buck and doe in the same year i have not got a deer in the last 3 years and not because of not hitting them because i kill everything i shot at
iceman77

Postby skybuster20ga » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:32 pm

this year was really bad in maine i know. we hunted eustis for 8 days and idnt see any thing. very unusal. i hunted back here at home and had a real dry season. i did have a doe permit but we never use those untill the last day or into muzzle loading. anyways, heres my last day last minute deer from sat. pretty disapointed but it will eat good on the ice this winter

skybuster20ga

Postby brace » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:16 pm

Skybuster -

With our deer herd crippled your out their killing does? You can't catch enough browns to keep your belly full this winter? I'm disappointed.
OK, just kidding - That's a nice looking doe and as you stated, will definately eat well. Congrats.

Unfortunately I won't be available to participate in Black Powder this year but good luck to all who do.
Brian

brace

Postby skybuster20ga » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:30 pm

it aint a doe bud 8)
skybuster20ga

Postby brace » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:14 am

Honestly? It's a nice animal either way, but I certainly don't see any horns in this pic. :?:

Ice Report from below Greenville -- All bodies of water are covered with ice. Hopefully the snow will hold off for another month so we can get some decent ice formed.
Brian

brace

Postby skybuster20ga » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:03 am

lol yea honestly it was a buck. i swear! just a button :lol: the sad part is i passed up bucks earlier in the season w/ acutall bone protruding more then an inch out of their heads and look what i ended up w/
skybuster20ga

Postby brace » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:05 pm

SkyBuster,

I'm not standing in judgement -- It's going to eat a hell of lot better then the one I got!! My game camera pics need a lot of salt.

Serious questions - I thought in Maine a deer required at least 3" antlers to tag as a buck?
Brian

brace

Postby brace » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:07 pm

On an unrelated topic -- If that jacket is what I think it is, then you've got way to much money on your hands!!
Brian

brace

Postby skybuster20ga » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:28 pm

lol they do have to be 3" thats why t was tagged as a doe my friend. i was just glad when i walked up that it was a buck due to the fact that you pointed out, there are hardley any deer. im kickin myself for not shooting one of the lesser bucks earlier. but im ready to fish and rabbit hunt myself.

and brace yea that jacket is what you think it is lol. its 5 yrs old and tough as nails. i have the black and green checked one also. and the pants are by far the best woolies ive ever worn......also i didnt buy a single thread of it. my very sweet g/f did for bdays and xmas's and anniversaries 8)
skybuster20ga

Postby brace » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:52 pm

I figured that was the case -- I've got a buddy who's son is about your age and decked himself out from head to toe in Beaglewear. Like you, he absolutely loves it....even with the price tag, although he wasn't as smart and actually paid for it.

I'm ready for icefishing as well. My son just got a new set of Jack Traps and is biting at the bit to get out there. The best thing is that he's old enough now to start running the ice auger and I can relax with some Dr. M's Vanilla schnaaps.
Brian

brace

Postby skybuster20ga » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:27 pm

well the beagle wear is def worth the money. my dad has the coat and loves it. it really depends thought on whether or not your a sitter or a ropper. myself, im a ropper so it works great but to sit for more then a couple hours you freeze to death. the coat i ahve is built for being on the move not sittin'. i have a bunch of friends and family that have switched from johnson to beagle over the last couple years.

your son also will love his jacktraps. i hope he has good luck w/ them.

my winter ice drink of choice is hot damn/fireball or BUD 8)
skybuster20ga

Postby HeathyVT » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:59 pm

My Maine season was a disappointment. Drove up to my uncles place in south Thomaston, hunted 3 days(2days in South Thomaston, 1 day in Hope) and didn't see a thing. My father who hunted the whole week only saw one doe which he passed on, others in our group only saw one buck the whole week and missed it. My vermont season has been decent i'm actually seeing deer in Lincoln VT, but does and a spike. Vt doesn't let you shoot spikes. We Usually take a few doe and buck or two in our group of 5. Hopefully Muzzle loader will go well for me in Vt this weekend.
HeathyVT

Postby redneck deer blaster » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:18 pm

how do i put a picture from my computer on this page? ive got a nice 9 pointer
redneck deer blaster

Postby redneck deer blaster » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:45 am

is anyone still looking at this post
redneck deer blaster

Next

Return to Big Game Hunting Forum