Switch to full site

Bass on a sandy bottom?

A bass fishing forum for bass fishing tips, tactics, and just plain talk about bassin.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Jim111

Bass on a sandy bottom?

by T~bag » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:57 pm

I am having trouble pulling any bass out of a lake that is like a desert 10 yards from shore(no weeds for cover) :idea: I can catch some in the shallows but....... What are your thoughts on how to catch the bass out there that are not up in the shallows? :?: Thanks :?
How to ice more keepers? Drill, drill, drill then drill a few more holes.
T~bag

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

by redneck deer blaster » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:59 pm

put some structure in there,put some brush,or some small trees,something so they can hind
redneck deer blaster

by ewfrace » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:55 pm

That is actually illegal. Don't do that!
ewfrace

by Gillzilla » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:27 pm

Building and placing fish cribs may indeed be illegal, but it is one hell of a way to establish structure in an otherwise barren lake. Not to mention, you'd be the only one who knew where that structure was!

I've always thought that if the structure you are constructing is of natural materials in tune with the lake's surrounding biology/geology, then why not? As long as the materials are natural, and the structure is not a hazard to navigation, why not?

Hardwood pallets, tied together with thick natural twine, and weighted down with stones between the planks, makes for great structure! Pallets are just wood held together with nails (iron). The iron in nails is a critical nutrient for plants, and the minute amount that would digest into the water column over time would be insignificant. The same could be done with heavy logs.

One could also transport cobble-sized rocks to a location of choice over time, and build small underwater reefs. This is another excellent way of creating benthic habitat for fish, invertebrates, etc.

Just my .02

Morgan
Gillzilla

Re: Bass on a sandy bottom?

by HeathyVT » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:27 pm

Is it just illegal in the state of Maine? I've never heard of it being illegal. I would get a hold of a depth chart for that particular body of water. Look for minute/drastic changes in the depth, finding drop offs and points, sunken islands and such. Learning to read depth charts can really change your fishing style.
Land Surveyor!
HeathyVT

Re: Bass on a sandy bottom?

by bui boater » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:23 pm

s.o.n.s. of lake erie put 3 different kinds of structures in presque isle bay, its not illegal in pa. i think if you drug some tires out there roped to a brick, you would find some hot water quickly, but a well built structure shouldnt be a problem. as always.....check with your local wco first.
oh, we tied old christmas trees together tethered to a brick for my buddies pond, and it has atracted half my tackle box.think these things out before you drop em. there commercial ones made out of foam rubber and look like trees. you could pull your lure/hook out of it , if you became snagged.
it didnt smell like that when i ate it
bui boater