Wheres everyone from?

This forum is for any angler who enjoys ice fishing in Pennsylvania

Moderators: iowawalleye, iceman77

Wheres everyone from?

Postby PALogger » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:02 pm

Hey guys just found the forum trying to see where all the guys in PA are located, maybe find some new people to fish with. My wife and I live in Wellsboro Tioga County, but are willing to travel on the weekends or meet up at any of the lakes up here. I haven't done too much ice fishing here, although I did get out a bit last winter. Hills Creek Lake was hit and miss, some days good some days not so much. Thinking on trying Hammond and Cowanesque when they finally harden up, but dont know too much about them. Hopefully we can get a dialogue going, maybe get some weekend rendezvous set up. I kinda miss the ice shanty towns in NH and Maine, too bad PA wont let you leave houses on the lake
PALogger

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: Wheres everyone from?

Postby NEPA » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:38 pm

I live in northeastern Pennsylvania and fish mostly in Wayne Country. I usually get out every weekend with my fishing partner. We are just waiting to get some good ice. I never fished Tioga Country. However, I did some ice fishing in Center County when attending Penn State. Of course that was a long time ago.
NEPA

Postby Waynesburgjay » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:39 pm

I'm from s.w. corner of the state in Greene County
Waynesburgjay

Postby mjd5243 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:30 am

I'm from Stormstown, PA...20min from State College and right beside Port Matilda. I really only fish Black Moshannon and Bald Eagle Dam, but I'd like to try other places some this year
mjd5243

Postby NEPA » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:16 pm

Hi MJD,

I did some ice fishing at Coyler Lake back in the early 80’s when I was in school. We caught pickerel and some decent bass there. It did not get much pressure then.
NEPA

Postby mjd5243 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:41 pm

[quote="NEPA"]Hi MJD,

I did some ice fishing at Coyler Lake back in the early 80’s when I was in school. We caught pickerel and some decent bass there. It did not get much pressure then.[/quote]

I used to fish there in the summers, but haven't really gone since they lowered the water level so much because of the dam. I might stop up there sometime and try it out though
mjd5243

Postby NEPA » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:34 am

I just got my auger out of the shop today, It runs like new and the blades are sharp. I am waiting to see if Santa brings me some new Jack’s Traps tip-ups. We are planning our first trip for Saturday, January 9th. There is probably enough ice to get out before, but at 50 years old I don’t want to end up treading water. I know that Tobyhanna State park is reporting 0 – 5 inches of ice, so in two weeks the lakes up here should be safe and sound.

We will be fishing ponds in Wayne County. We usually focus on trout or bass. The problem with most of the good bass ponds is the pickerel. However, they do provide a lot of action. If there are no trout in the lake, we will do a little jigging for pan fish, but they are an afterthought.

There is also a small pond in Lackawanna County (where I live) that had the damn repaired about 6 years ago. This year we pulled out two five pound bass in the fall. When they restocked the lake, they did not stock pickerel. Instead, they put in some musky hybrids. They should be about ready to harvest as well. Because it is so close to my house this could make a good trip on a miserable day. I only hope I can find some large bait.

Let me know when you guys are going out and how you make out.
NEPA

Postby steve2u42 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:53 pm

Hello to all. I am Steve from Mechanicsburg Pa. Headed to LetterKenny lake this Tuesday and Thursday. Heard there is 8" of ice. Drilled a whole in my in laws pond and it had 4 inches, works for me. We have alot of lakes around here i want to try. This is only my second year but now i am set up with pretty much all the stuff i will need, thanks Santa. lol. My Ice fishing stuff live in my car all winter. Always looking for a reason to get out. I also am willing to try many different baits and Jigs. Here in Pa we can have a combo of 5 lines in the water, I use 4 tip-ups and a jigging rod.
steve2u42

Postby centralpaI.F. » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:39 am

Im from Montoursville, Lycoming county. Me and my buddy usually fish Hunters Lake and Rose Valley Lake. We didnt catch anything last year hopefully we will do better this year. He has all the experience and Im fairly new to it all.
centralpaI.F.

Return to Pennsylvania ice fishing