Eelpout

One of the most loved and hated fish under the ice. Ice fishing for eelpout is underrated, it's poor man's lobster (yes, it's good to eat!)

Moderators: iowawalleye, Jim111

Eelpout

Postby OldSailor » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:26 am

Back when I lived in Minnesota, we caught alot of them.Great eating!! On several lakes, you had to keep an eye on them or they would "grow legs" and wander off!! People used to volunteer to take them off your hands all of the time. NO WAY!! Too yummy!! :thumb:
Never try to teach a pig to ice fish. It's a waste of time and it annoys the pig!!
OldSailor

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: Eelpout

Postby nodakoutdoors.com » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:51 am

How do you cook your eelpout?
nodakoutdoors.com
Site Admin

Postby kingfisher » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:42 pm

They're Awesome! :beer: You can cook them like any other fish. Roll the meat with the skin on in eggs, and then flour, and throw it in a pan with Cabot butter and fry it up golden brown. The skin is not tough like a cat fish- They are a cod fish. Many people also use the meat to make chowder.

Oh, and if you know whats good for you, make sure you keep the cod liver. Its a cream or pink yellow color. Its usually the biggest organ in the fish besides it's gut. You can fry that cod liver. You wont need any oil in the pan because its already full of it. Make sure you cut off the lime green sack on the liver, I think its the gall bladder, and throw that away. You don't want to eat gall bladder juice. Put a little salt on that liver and it tastes really good, it may smell a little funny, but it tastes good, and is really REALLY good for you. :beer:
kingfisher

Postby surflizard » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:36 am

Of all the fresh water species, Burbot/Eelpout/Cusk/Ling/Lawyers are the top eating fish for me ! :thumb: One other benefit to targeting Burbot is that in early March here in the Northeast, they gather together in rocky shoals to spawn and they are Super Aggresive !! I jig with a Custom Jigs and spins Chrome Slender spoon with a dropper chain and a smelt headhooked thru the eye sockets. It is not uncommon to hook 3 or 4 fish before rebaiting, it doesn't get much better then that if ya ask me !Image

Image Drifter Stix Rule the Hardwater
surflizard

Postby guinea » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:05 pm

My favorite fish ever! Not only are they delicious, but they intrigue me.

You know how when you put a fish in the sink and it slides around? Look at how these guys move...I would love to be in the water watching them swim!

Excellent for chowder, or fried, or baked. Gahhhd, I can't wait! My mouth is watering and my toes are too warm! :D
guinea

Return to Eelpout