Burbot fishing

One of the most loved and hated fish under the ice. Ice fishing for eelpout is underrated, it's poor man's lobster (yes, it's good to eat!)

Moderators: iowawalleye, Jim111

Re: Burbot fishing

Postby bradleyroy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:53 am

Anyone have any tips on fishing for Ling in VT?
Ive never caught one but after reading all this i would like to.
We fish Lake Champlain all the time, ANy good Ling Places or tactics?
bradleyroy

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Postby Jim111 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:33 am

Cut or dead bait on bottom at night works well. We've caught them up around Hog Island many times in the past. I'm sure there are other places to get them on the lake though. For some strange reason VT fishermen treat them like trash fish? Who knows why? In Alaska they are treated like celebrities!

-Jim
FLAG!
Jim111

Postby bradleyroy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:49 pm

Jim111 wrote:Cut or dead bait on bottom at night works well. We've caught them up around Hog Island many times in the past. I'm sure there are other places to get them on the lake though. For some strange reason VT fishermen treat them like trash fish? Who knows why? In Alaska they are treated like celebrities!

-Jim

i would say it has something to do with appearence, that and many people (including me untill reading this forum) have never even heard of the things before
but now i will have a go at catching some
bradleyroy

Postby Jim111 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:24 pm

They certainly aren't any uglier, or slimier than a lake trout, but much better table fare and very easily filleted. They are a fresh-water cod, for those who don't realize it. -Jim
FLAG!
Jim111

Postby NEPA » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:44 pm

I found a page that describes the difference between the two fish.

http://www.walleyes.org/wolakechron/difference.htm
NEPA

Postby webster » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:15 pm

Jim111 wrote:Cut or dead bait on bottom at night works well. We've caught them up around Hog Island many times in the past. I'm sure there are other places to get them on the lake though. For some strange reason VT fishermen treat them like trash fish? Who knows why? In Alaska they are treated like celebrities!

-Jim

I think it has to do with the fact that not many are caught and the mind set that they are rare. i caught one 40 years ago off Georgia shore and was told if it was not prepared right it would make people sick. If we get good ice the Savage Island area should produce some nice Burbot. There was a great show on ETV ( Vermont Outdoors) I think about fishing them here in Vermont. I want to try this. As a final note there was an elderly fellow who kept a shanty at Lapans bay. He would leave a set line baited with cut perch every night illegal her in VT for Burbot that was 30 years ago I heard he was very sucessful and he ate them.
webster

Postby Jason_W » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:39 pm

I got into fishing for them last winter and had decent success on Memphremagog near the shore opposite to the Strawberry Acres access. No lunkers, but I got a nice stack in the 15" to 19" range.

Fishing for them was a lot of fun and I hope I can find a lake that has them near where I'm living now in coastal Maine.
Jason_W

Previous

Return to Eelpout