Lake trout tips and tricks article

Discuss the latest tackle, tips, and stories in ice fishing for trout.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Jim111

Lake trout tips and tricks article

Postby surflizard » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:49 am

Here is a great article with tips and tricks for Lake trout fishing thru the ice !

Lake Trout Ice Fishing
Tips and Techniques
By the Ice Fishing Source

The real secret to catching more fish is knowledge! The more you know, the more fish you'll catch. These Lake Trout ice fishing tips and techniques are proven winners.

It's time to take a closer look at one of the most sought after fish in North America, the Lake Trout. What's not to like about them? They're as good to eat as they are fun to catch. With their golden scales and their diamond like eyes, they're even fun to look at, for a fish anyway .

Lake Trout are naturally pretty aggressive fish which is one of the reasons they're so fun to catch. But mid winter slows down just about every species, including Lake Trout, so it's important to learn how to trigger them to bite after the slow down.

If you want to catch more fish the two most important keys are location and presentation. You could have the most appealing bait in the world but if there aren't any fish around it's going to be a looong day. And, not catching a thing while everyone else around you is catching fish can be really frustrating. What you present to the fish is just as important as finding them.

The information found here is best used along with some investigative work done by you. Finding out what the Department of Natural Resources says about a lake and talking to local anglers, especially at the bait shop, can save you a ton of time finding the fish and knowing what they're biting on.

Lake Trout can be ice fished at any hour of the day or night but changing light conditions in the morning and evening usually triggers more activity and feeding. You'll catch more Lake Trout in the 90 minutes surrounding sunup and sundown then at any other time.

Lake Trout Ice Fishing Location

Whether it's summer or winter, Lake Trout are generally found within a couple feet of the bottom. And not just any bottom, normally Lake Trout hang close to some sort of lake structure like points, breaks, rock piles and humps. Click here to learn about fish attracting lake structure. Structure meets a couple of basic needs, including shelter and food.

Lake Trout also like fast access to deep water so check out the steep breaks around points and bars.

During early ice Lake Trout can be found in the same places they were just before ice up. Look for them in shallow water near points and shoreline bars. Other structure, like inside turns and rock piles, are always an added bonus.

As winter progresses Lake Trout move out toward mid-lake humps. It's interesting how this move resembles mid summer fishing. One reason for this move is the water is just a bit warmer in deeper water which is more comfortable for them and keeps them more active.

As spring nears Lake Trout begin moving shallower again into pre spawn areas. Besides shoreline points and breaks, look for them near river mouths.

Before we switch gears and talk about presentation, remember locating the fish is half the battle. Don't just drill one hole in 10 ft of water next to a point. Instead drill several holes in varying depths and find the fish.

Using modern electronics can also help you find fish faster. Depth, fish and structure can all be seen using a flasher (Vexilar or Marcum).

Lake Trout Ice Fishing Presentation

OK, you've found the Lake Trout, now let's look at some effective techniques to get them on the ice!

The most effective ice fishing presentation is jigging. Jigging is basically raising your rod tip about a foot, then dropping it back down to its starting position. Since Lake Trout are close to the bottom, insure you're jigging within a couple feet of the bottom.

Don't be afraid to touch bottom. Often this will stir up the bottom and attract fish. Don't overdue it though. You'll catch more fish by keeping your lure slightly above them rather than on the bottom of the lake .

Jigging attracts fish but unless they're very active, a Lake Trout won't take your bait/lure until it stops. So a very effective method is to raise and drop the tip, wait 3-10 seconds and repeat the raise/drop. Vary the amount of time you let you jig remain still.

Another jigging technique made popular by the pro ice fisherman Dave Genz is pounding the jig. Pounding a jig is basically jiggling your rod tip up and down just an inch or two very quickly.

Last year my brother-in-law bought me a Buzz Stick rod/reel combo for Christmas. You press a button and the rod tip jiggles. It's amazing how far ice fishing has come in the past few years!!

Now that you've got the hang of jigging, lets look at the lure/bait you're using. There are two main types of lures jigged while ice fishing for Lake Trouts. Flash spoons and swimming lures.

Swimming lures include the Jigging Rapala and Nils Master Jigging Shad.

Swimming lures are great for more aggressive Lake Trout. Usually I put a minnow head on one of the treble hook barbs and start by fishing with one of these.

Northland Tackle and Lindy make lead head swimming jigs which can also be very effective.

Flash spoons, or vertical spoons, like the Swedish Pimple and Acme Kastmaster, are a couple of my favorites. They are easily identified by their vertical fishing position and a treble hook on the bottom. Spoons are great for moderately active fish. Put a minnow head on one of the hooks and you've got a dangerous combination.

In most places while ice fishing you're allowed more than one rod. I usually set up either a tip up or a deadstick in either deeper or shallower water. Normally that set up just has a lead head jig and a sucker minnow on it while ice fishing for Lake Trout.

Hopefully you've found something new to try in these Lake Trout ice fishing tips and techniques that will help you ice more fish.

What most people consider luck is usually a combination of preparation and practice so get out there and enjoy the practice!
Image Drifter Stix Rule the Hardwater
surflizard

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: Lake trout tips and tricks article

Postby Hickgtx600f4 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:04 pm

Some good tips there Surf. :thumb:
Hickgtx600f4

Postby 218er » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:11 pm

You can listen to laker propaganda all you want. It's easy for a outdoor salesman to sound smart saying the same crap over and over each year. Every body of laker water is different. Some lakes have different forage, some lakes have to much forage. There's also different strains of lakers which has something to do with there feeding behaviors. I don't like fishing inside turns, or reefs in the winter. I target big flats 35-50 fow and fish live bait off the bottom. The only jigging I do is with a big flasher on sluggish days. I also fish where you would never think of lake trout fishing on humid overcast days. I target shallow bays 10-30 fow and hammer big lakers. You can't listen to these so called fishing experts they don't know anything but there paycheck. Think outside the box and you can figure out what works any lake. Remember lakers can roam the whole lake in the winter. Get on that laker freeway and they'll find your bait. Live bait is king!
218er

Postby dylan8351 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:12 pm

218er wrote:You can listen to laker propaganda all you want. It's easy for a outdoor salesman to sound smart saying the same crap over and over each year. Every body of laker water is different. Some lakes have different forage, some lakes have to much forage. There's also different strains of lakers which has something to do with there feeding behaviors. I don't like fishing inside turns, or reefs in the winter. I target big flats 35-50 fow and fish live bait off the bottom. The only jigging I do is with a big flasher on sluggish days. I also fish where you would never think of lake trout fishing on humid overcast days. I target shallow bays 10-30 fow and hammer big lakers. You can't listen to these so called fishing experts they don't know anything but there paycheck. Think outside the box and you can figure out what works any lake. Remember lakers can roam the whole lake in the winter. Get on that laker freeway and they'll find your bait. Live bait is king!

I think there is good info in there but you are right, every lake is different. Personally, I fish lakers in 2-60 feet of water and never set a bait in more than 3 feet below the ice. I do a fair amount of jigging to pass the time too. Very effective.
dylan8351

Return to Trout