power bait

Discuss the latest tackle, tips, and stories in ice fishing for trout.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Jim111

power bait

Postby moto » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:24 pm

Has anyone used power bait with or wiht out meal worms? It has worked in the spring and fall but never tried it throught the ice. I see most guys are using smelt or small shinners even some using pieces of crawlers. I did get a nice rainbow with medium shinner fished just above the bottom but that was about it. I would like to get more this year.

Any help would be greatly apperciated
moto

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

power bait

Postby icehutrenegade » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:17 pm

i have had luck with power bait through the ice at a few smaller lakes near my house. I usually go with the pink or the neon green. I usually have the best luck through the ice with wax worms and minnows
icehutrenegade

Postby moto » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:17 am

Cool thanks. Do you fish them clsoe to the bottom or just under the surface.
moto

Postby icehutrenegade » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:59 am

i usually fish em about a foot of the bottom in deeper water but with the neon green i like to have it about 2 to 2 and a half feet of the bottom in shallow water
icehutrenegade

Re: power bait

Postby NEPA » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:38 am

I have never used Power Bait or Gulp Trout Dough when ice fishing. Both products float so I am interested in seeing how other anglers are rigging it on tip-ups. I fish in North Eastern Pennsylvania.
NEPA

Postby Jim111 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:39 am

I've tried Powerbaits on both stocked and wild trout on many occasions through the ice. I've found a small piece of earthworm or crawler will outfish Powerbait about five to one. In any case, except for lake trout (which like live or cut bait),....baits for trout seem to work best when fished no more than 6-8 feet down, no matter the depth. We limit out most times we go, in New England and generally are on our way home by about 9:00 AM at the latest. We even caught rainbow trout (and landlocked silver salmon)through the ice in Alaska, back in the early 80s, when we lived up there, in this same fashion. I had a friend from Mass mail me the crawlers in early fall, in a worm canteen!
-Jim
FLAG!
Jim111

Postby mcavene824 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:30 pm

I have never tryed to use power bait threw the ice before and im deff goin to try it out this year!
mcavene824

Postby JUSTINM » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:57 pm

I THINK JIM111 IS CORRECT ABOUT THE WORM FOR SURE. YEAR ROUND THEY OUT FISH POWER BAIT EVERY TIME. ALSO EVEN BETTER IS A CHUNK OF SUCKER MEAT.
FIRST ON AND LAST OFF
JUSTINM

Return to Trout