Please Help

Discuss fishing for black and white crappies through the ice. It's tough to beat a good school of crappies through hard water.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Jim111

Please Help

Postby silverking55 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:00 am

I am targeting crappie on a small impoundment (3acres), I catch them in the spring but can't chase them down while the water is hard??? Does anybody have tips for me. I have fished at the breast with tip ups and jigging and all I catch are bass and trout, the breast is the last place I made contact with them in the fall. What depth should I be fishing? What techniques? and where should I try chasing those elusive buggers??

Thanks-Tim
silverking55

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: Please Help

Postby Jim111 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:45 am

Try jigging with tiny jigs at dawn and dusk near underwater structure, or even after dark, using a lantern. Pinhead shiners might also work. Good luck!
And welcome to the site. :welcome: -Jim
FLAG!
Jim111

Postby IceTim » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:00 am

How deep is the lake? Is it like an old quarry?
~I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life.~
IceTim

Postby silverking55 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:41 am

IceTim,

I would say the deepest part is about 18 ft, it is just a large pond/ mini lake the local county created for recreational use. It has some super crappie fishing in the spring, and I am new to ice fishing so I am trying to chase them down on it.

Thanks-TimB
silverking55

Postby Flag Up » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:11 pm

I would start in the deepest part with small glow jigs tipped with wigglers or spikes.
In dog beers I've only had one.
Flag Up

Postby IceTim » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:28 pm

I would have to agree with the above comment. On a shallow lake like that, they're likely going to be at the deepest point... unless there's some type of structure nearby,.. then you may want to try the edge of that structure facing the deepest area... It's tough giving info on a lake some hasn't fished on.. but that's what I would try. As for what to use, I also agree that a small jig with a spike or waxie is a great starting point. Otherwise if others are fishing the lake ask at the baitshop or on the lake to see what's working for them. Good luck!
~I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life.~
IceTim

Postby bum » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:26 pm

try finding the gills in about 5-14 foot of water once you find the blue gills start putting you shanty up for some night fishing i have had better luck with the fish coming in at night just as it's getting dark. using glow jigs and spikes like size 14 and size 18 always if the bait gets soogy throw a new spike on keeps them intrested i think. tonight i had about 8 spikes on a size 14 glow jig with a pink dot i will post under the michigan header of "bishop lake with pictures". i find buying new ice jigs every season keep you in the loop because the old jig the glow fish ware off and does not get as bright when flashed. by finding the gills i mean find were there all hanging like foilage in the water most dye off or is dyeing and gill like cover crappie are in the deeper holes around the gills keeping mobile is the key. and using the vexlar is needed too.
bum

Postby T~bag » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:59 pm

go out just before dark find some fish, bring a shovel. Set your shanny up but clear all the snow around it away. Fire up the lantern and they will come. The light going through the ice will attract what the specs are feeding on and you should be able to catch them with tiny glow jigs with grubs or minnows.. Good luck.
How to ice more keepers? Drill, drill, drill then drill a few more holes.
T~bag

Postby bum » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:53 am

t bag that is totaly what we were doing last night when we hit that huge slab crappie we had three iced with in 5 minutes. then hooked in the the mother of all fish that we lost. any ways here is a link to some crappie pic's of mine from last two day's

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7247
bum

Return to Crappies