First ice crappies

Discuss fishing for black and white crappies through the ice. It's tough to beat a good school of crappies through hard water.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Jim111

First ice crappies

Postby Mr.Cumstein » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:59 pm

Hit a couple favorite lakes while up in NW WI for the late doe season. Found a bunch of nice crappies, and a 40" northern one day. Did a lot better fishing this weekend than I did hunting.Image
Take a kid fishing
Mr.Cumstein

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: First ice crappies

Postby Spark » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:43 am

Looks like you did pretty well, congrats on some nice fish. Hoping to find some crappie here in Nebraska on Friday and the weekend, went out monday and caught a bucket of gills now need crappies.

Good luck the rest of the year.
Gone fishin be back for huntin season.
Spark

Postby Jeff in WI » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:24 pm

Mr. Cumstein, I've sent you a couple of PMs. Please check them.
Jeff in WI

Postby JUSTINM » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:36 am

HEY NICE FISH. WE HAVE A LAKE HERE THAT HAS A FEW CRAPPIES IN IT BUT I NEVER SEEM TO FIND THEM. I WOULD THINK TO TRY THE SAME PLACE AS THE PERCH? DO YOU RUN A DIFFERANT DEPTH?
FIRST ON AND LAST OFF
JUSTINM

Postby mcavene824 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:25 pm

That must have been a great lil feast you had there bet those bad boys tasted real good too!
mcavene824

Postby Mr.Cumstein » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:15 am

JUSTINM wrote:HEY NICE FISH. WE HAVE A LAKE HERE THAT HAS A FEW CRAPPIES IN IT BUT I NEVER SEEM TO FIND THEM. I WOULD THINK TO TRY THE SAME PLACE AS THE PERCH? DO YOU RUN A DIFFERANT DEPTH?

If you're catching perch you're probably not in the right spot. If you've been catching perch you need to change the depth of your hook. Perch run the bottom more often ,crappies will suspend. Move the hook depth up off the bottom and fish 3' or more up off of it.

This is how I usually set up. I like finding good structure with a weed line running with the contours. I like setting up for them that last 2 hours of light and fish 4 or so hours into the dark. Feeding crappies run those weed lines and I'll set up in 10-14' and wait for them.
Take a kid fishing
Mr.Cumstein

Postby marriemb » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:32 am

great catch the weekend proved great
marriemb

Return to Crappies