they wont hit it

Discuss fishing for black and white crappies through the ice. It's tough to beat a good school of crappies through hard water.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Jim111

they wont hit it

Postby tapout » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:11 pm

i dont know if anybody else is haveing this problem but its been a big one for me. i can see them they sit down their and stair at my waxy and every now and then suck it in and spit i right back out. and advice or are they just not very active. any advice would be good
u are only as tuff as your training partner
tapout

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Postby mz » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:27 pm

Well, I think what the majority of these guys will tell you is that it was a bad day for that jig and bait. Try mixing it up, use different baits, try different depths, different jigs, drill more holes. Move around, be diverse. If you try all of these things, not only should you be exhausted, you should know not to fish that body of water in the winter:) jk
MZ
mz

Postby Hoofharted » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:49 pm

Make sure your hook tip is completely covered. Maybe they feel your hook.
Hoofharted

Postby Shawn Hayes » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:08 pm

set the hook when they suck it in or change colors or jigs instead of a waxie try spikes or minnows minnow heads we even get them with tubies like you would in the summer thats the fun part figuring them out and then puttin the smack down on em keep tryin if you know they are there sometimes they just dont want to eat but fish 20 ft away will
Shawn Hayes
Ice Team Powerstick
NAIFC Prostaff
S.H.O. Shawn Hayes Outdoors
http://hookedonvt.proboards.com/
Shawn Hayes

Postby tapout » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:28 am

thanks guys ill give all this a try. thanks for the input
tapout

Postby Tod » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:25 pm

Many things you can do to improve your luck on getting one of them slabs on the ice.

Change jigs are you using vertical or horizontal need a little more info to help you nail this one down.
Ice Team Pro
Tod

Postby tapout » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:36 pm

im using vertical but i do use horizontal to but for the most part its not makeing a dif.
tapout

Postby Pipe » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:27 pm

You probably aren't holding your mouth right. Crappie aren't as aggressive as a bluegill. When you feel them bite you have to set the hook. My fishing buddy Scout says if you're fishing you have to pay attention. If you're just feeding fish you don't need a hook. Try his advice and pay attention. Go to the pet store and feed the fish there.
Pipe

Return to Crappies