White Crappies

Discuss fishing for black and white crappies through the ice. It's tough to beat a good school of crappies through hard water.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Jim111

White Crappies

Postby Shawn Hayes » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:40 am

Does anyone catch the white crappies consistantly through ice?
Last year on champlain I caught my limit of black crappies but only caught one white all last ice season. I am under the impression that the whites are in deeper water or feed closer to the bottom.
Anybody who knows more about this please tell me.
I am obsessed with crappies, they will drive you crazy :D
Shawn Hayes
Ice Team Powerstick
NAIFC Prostaff
S.H.O. Shawn Hayes Outdoors
http://hookedonvt.proboards.com/
Shawn Hayes

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Postby whitetail05408 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:43 am

I have been for years now trying to fish them with no luck. The fish is really good eating i am told and would love to get a bunch or lets just start with 1 anyways. Were and how do you fish them. have asked 1000 of people I just dont get it maybe.....jim s
whitetail05408

Crappies

Postby plowanice » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:09 pm

Hello fellow crappie freaks,

My experience with crappies is that the body of water you are fishing should be predominantly populated with whites. I have fished ponds, reservoirs and lakes and find no outstanding trait that can be attributed to the white that is not also of a black.

I have caught whites mostly out of trees where I mostly catch blacks suspended near structure.

I think that the black is better eating though. The meat of the white is a little less firm, like when you take fish out of the freezer compared to fresh.

Just my experience. I don't know if there is any science to it.

From Iowa,

Plowanice
plowanice

Postby douglas_413 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:37 pm

I have been consistantly cathing whites on a local lake. It is kind of weird because according to the nebraska game and parks stocking reports, they have only stocked blacks. I do know that there are blacks in the lake as I have caught them in the summer. I havn't caught any blacks through the ice though, only whites.
douglas_413

Postby icemantrav » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:27 pm

mostly what i catch are hybrids...somtimes ill get a black or a white
icemantrav

Return to Crappies