I need some help?

Talk about ice fishing for panfish, including the most infamous bluegill. What's new, what's old in ice fishing for bluegills.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Jim111

I need some help?

Postby icehutrenegade » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:08 am

I usually do pretty good trough the ice at a lake not far from my house, but this season I havent been having much luck. I can catch em all summer and for the last few winters ive been catching a good amout of gills. This season im not having much luck. Ive been moving around and when i seem to get into em they just dont have much size to the ones i do catch. Even the more experianced guys i know that fish the same lake arent having much luck, i know ther there but what can i do to pull them through the hole? Any ideas ?
icehutrenegade

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Postby doc morgan-Blue gil killa » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:58 am

how big is the lake?? look for deeper water..big blue gills are a bread of ther own.they will not tolarate little gills.. they compete for the food.you will catch big gills and little gills together on occasion.but for the most part bigger gills will tend to stay together in packs in the winter.they may not be big groups.as spring gets closer bigger gills move into shallower water looking for food.bug hatchs in weedy areas of the lake.every lake is different so it's trial and eror.the more time you spend searching a lake and learning the better chance you have in patterning the fish''Good luckDOC 8)
if hunting and fishing was my job I should be rich by now.
doc morgan-Blue gil killa

Postby jeffd88 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:48 pm

we have been running into bigger gills suspended around 4 feet over 7-8 feet deep water. the little ones tend to be deeper. try shallowing up and using a little bigger jig.
jeffd88

Return to Bluegills