Suspended gills

Talk about ice fishing for panfish, including the most infamous bluegill. What's new, what's old in ice fishing for bluegills.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Jim111

Suspended gills

Postby eddiewardo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:47 pm

I was curious if anybody has any opinions on suspended gills in deeper water? I have found and caught gills out to about 40fow, but have no idea why they suspend out there other than experience.

So if you have any ideas, I would love to hear them.

I think it may have something to do with food or water temperature or lake structure or oxygen saturation or even barometric pressure. I don't know for sure, but some more thoughts on it would be interesting to see.

Eddiewardo
eddiewardo

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: Suspended gills

Postby livintobefishin » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:30 pm

eddiewardo wrote:I was curious if anybody has any opinions on suspended gills in deeper water? I have found and caught gills out to about 40fow, but have no idea why they suspend out there other than experience.

So if you have any ideas, I would love to hear them.

I think it may have something to do with food or water temperature or lake structure or oxygen saturation or even barometric pressure. I don't know for sure, but some more thoughts on it would be interesting to see.

Eddiewardo

I've seen suspended blue gills quite a bit this year already, and just today they seemed to be right around 20 feet down in 30 FOW. Interesting, but I don't think this time it had to do with lake structure as I can usually see weeds if there are any far above the surface. I theorized today that it was where food was, but also consider it could be barometrics pressure. Wish I had a theory for it, but I'm curious too!
livintobefishin

Re: Suspended gills

Postby barrelslime » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:10 pm

May have to do with oxygen levels
PB Crappie 17 1/2"
barrelslime

Return to Bluegills