how do i fish for perch?

Talk about perch fishing through the ice - get your yellow perch fill here.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Jim111

how do i fish for perch?

Postby corey31 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:08 pm

I live in southern maine and primarily have been fishing a body of water called little sebago. Most of the time i drill some holes throw some shiners in the water and wait. Occasionally i will try my luck with my sons old Disney fishing pole but never have given much effort with jigging. I have seen that yellow perch seems to be a favorite of many and would like to give it a try. Water depth is about 10-20 feet and i fish in a channel marked by buoys that boats pass through in the summer. It has been great for bass, pickerel and an occasional perch. I suppose i am looking for any suggestions on how to specifically target perch and the best way to prepare them for the dinner plate. Thanks
corey31

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: how do i fish for perch?

Postby surflizard » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:14 pm

Hey Corey,

My favorite perch hole is almost identical to yours ! The channel going out into the lake has a sand bar caused by the prop wash when they speed up out of the channel during the summer. If you can locate the sand bar that they create, you will find perch Valhala ! I punch a dozen hole starting 20 ro 30 feet before the bouys and 20 after to locate the sandbars or clean rocks.

If you don't have a camera, you can go old shool. Take a stick of butter and cut it into 2" chunks and stick it on a big jig or hook and bounce it on the bottom a couple of times. Pull it up and look at the bottom, you can tell what the bottom is made of by what sticks to the bottom of the butter ! :wink:

Here is a couple of shots of the channel I target.
Image Drifter Stix Rule the Hardwater
surflizard

Postby dylan8351 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:53 am

What surf suggested is great. For me, regardless of what I am fishing for, I punch a ton of holes. On a new body of water, I try to cover all bottom types and water depths. To find fish, I fish fast with a searching lure (something heavy and flashy so you can get down quick and draw them in). If I find myself missing a lot of fish, I will downsize my approach and finesse them in. Don't be afraid to try a bunch of baits and if you can catch a perch put an eye on!

To prepare them I would suggest that you fillet them. If you aren't worried about being healthy I fry fish in Bisquick and make tacos (one of my favorites). Otherwise I would coat the fish in oil, then melt butter and mix in garlic, salt, and pepper and brush it on. Bake them at 375 for 8-12 minutes. One more great way to eat them is to coat them in oil, spread mayo on and cover with ritz crackers. Bake at the same temperature and time and that's it!
dylan8351

Postby corey31 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:28 pm

Great info, thank you.

Does size matter in quality of taste? Most of the perch i have caught have been on the smaller size, only a handful to tune of 10inches or so. I will be out this sat and will let you know how i do and if i pull any in, how they taste. Thanks again for the helpful information.
corey31

Postby dave b. » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:50 pm

I don't think size matters in regards to taste. Most fisherman find that larger perch provide more meat for the table. after you get done cleaning the little guys there isn't much left for the table.
dave b.

Postby dylan8351 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:08 pm

dave b. wrote:I don't think size matters in regards to taste. Most fisherman find that larger perch provide more meat for the table. after you get done cleaning the little guys there isn't much left for the table.

Perch are perch. They all taste fine. For me, more importantly than size I like to keep males. They have more meat in the winter (due to egg development in the females) and you still leave females. In general, I don't keep a perch under 10" for filleting purposes. I don't like messing around with bones!
dylan8351

Postby dave b. » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:25 pm

Dylan how to you identify female vs male? are you going by the pregnant looking bellies that develop?
dave b.

Postby dylan8351 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:45 pm

dave b. wrote:Dylan how to you identify female vs male? are you going by the pregnant looking bellies that develop?

Mainly by the bellies yes. I tend to put myself on lakes that I know have jumbo perch if that is what I am targeting. This time of year they are normally easy to tell apart. Although I was fishing crappie on an inland pond the other day and kept a few perch. I found that the males were bigger! I was surprised!
dylan8351

Postby corey31 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:22 am

Well I have a lot to learn about ice fishing for yellow perch, Saturday was slow compared to last weekend but managed to pull in 2 yellow perch. Thank you all for the advice it seemed to pay off and happy to report that after cooking them up on the ice i found the perch to be rather tasty. I definitely need to do some more work and learn some more techniques to catch enough to make a meal out of them but all in all Saturday was a great learning experience.
Attachments
382192_10200364377288030_1256856094_n.jpg
382192_10200364377288030_1256856094_n.jpg (17.93 KiB) Viewed 4395 times
corey31

Postby dylan8351 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:54 pm

Glad you found a few! Congrats!
dylan8351

Return to Perch