skunked help

Talk about perch fishing through the ice - get your yellow perch fill here.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Jim111

skunked help

Postby rythefisherman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:50 pm

I have been fishing so much on my home lake. Out of the 23 times Ive gone I caught 4 perch and I dont know what it is but I really need some help here is my setup. med heavy jigging rod with 8 pound monofilament line and a micrro spin real. I have been using northland perch jigs tippd with salmon eggs and I have been jigging in about 10 feet of water. what am I doing wrong?
rythefisherman

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: skunked help

Postby KenDOdoubleG » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:31 pm

Can you catch yellows with 8 lb. test and a med. heavy stick...yeah, but you'll probably catch a few more going a bit lighter. I'm going to assume that 23 times out with just 4 fish you changed lures/baits as well as moved around on you home lake. If not I would start with the lure/bait change first. Fish an hour or 2 and change up until you find something that works. Have different sizes, colors and styles on hand. If that's not it, then get off that lake, but not until you've tried different areas and depths. 8-10 trips on the ice is a lot for me in a season, and that usually includes 3 or more different lakes and reservoirs. You got to get out and find them. Hope this helps, and I hope you still have time to make it work, because in my corner of the world ice fishing is history. I give you credit bro, with those stats I might have talked myself into staying home tying flies. By the way, do you just jig fish? I think I only caught 3-4 fish all season jigging. All my action was on traps this year.
KenDOdoubleG

Postby Woodsman » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:59 pm

rythefisherman wrote:I have been fishing so much on my home lake. Out of the 23 times Ive gone I caught 4 perch and I dont know what it is but I really need some help what am I doing wrong?

here is my setup. med heavy jigging rod with 8 pound monofilament line and a micrro spin real.

The reel may be Ok but lose the rest for perch. Get an ultralite pole & use 2-4 pound test.
I have been using northland perch jigs tippd with salmon eggs

I never tried salmon eggs for perch but maggots & meal worms for tipping jigs have produced. Also the smallest rapala ice jigs tipped with minnow heads have produced.
and I have been jigging in about 10 feet of water.

I don't know your lake but at times deeper or shallower will be better. Are you using some form of electronics to confirm fish are in the area your fishing? If the fish are not there than results will be poor.

Good Luck: Rick
Living proof that beer builds better bellies.
Woodsman

Postby rythefisherman » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:50 am

I have been using a underwater camera when I go out
rythefisherman

Postby Woodsman » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:26 pm

rythefisherman wrote:I have been using a underwater camera when I go out

And are you seeing more than the occasional fish?
If you are how are they reacting to your jigs?
If you are not seeing volumes of fish have you tried other locations & depths?
Living proof that beer builds better bellies.
Woodsman

Postby rythefisherman » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:05 pm

Woodsman wrote:
rythefisherman wrote:I have been using a underwater camera when I go out

And are you seeing more than the occasional fish?
If you are how are they reacting to your jigs?
If you are not seeing volumes of fish have you tried other locations & depths?

well the perch I have caught I didnt have my camera down the hole so I was wondering if the perch I caught were "Camera shy"?
rythefisherman

Return to Perch