Calling all Perch fanatics

Talk about perch fishing through the ice - get your yellow perch fill here.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Jim111

Calling all Perch fanatics

Postby pikeman99 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:58 pm

I need your help. Here's what I got. I got a deep resevoir in Utah. The terrain is rocky and got big mud flats in the basin of the bays. It has German Brown, Walleye, Small Mouth, Chub and Jumbo Perch. A little bit about me. I am a Perch fanatic, I catch Jumbo's usually all summer and usually I can catch these through the ice. I fish with alot of custom made jigs that glo, I use alot of cut bait, eyeballs, night crawler, mill and wax worms, Light line 4 and 6 pound test. Custom made 42 inch graphite rods. I fish under a vexlar FL20. Here is my question: :?: :The ice has been on for about a month it is one foot thick with 2-3 inches of snow. I am finding these fish in 60-65 feet of water. Every time I go i see all kinds of activity coming through on the vex. I tease them, taunt them, chum them, and I cannot get them to hit. Any tips of how I could get these fish to hit would be appreciated.
Pikeman GO FISH
pikeman99

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: Calling all Perch fanatics

Postby JUSTINM » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:19 am

keep trying new jigs and bait, also slow down your motion. some times they will hit after you jig it and let it set dead for 2-3 mins. it is funny how they change from day to day. also some times i drop it so that it touches the bottom and jig it up only 2-3 inches instead of a foot of the bottom, this works great in small amounts of weeds.
FIRST ON AND LAST OFF
JUSTINM

Postby T~bag » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:02 pm

i would try lighter line... They may be line shy if there is much pressure there :poke: I haven't used that heavy of line in a few years and my catch rate has went up drastically.
How to ice more keepers? Drill, drill, drill then drill a few more holes.
T~bag

Postby pikeman99 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:45 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. I will try dropping my line size and trying the jigging technique. :thumb: Thanks Pikeman GO FISH
Pikeman GO FISH
pikeman99

Return to Perch