cycles

Talk about perch fishing through the ice - get your yellow perch fill here.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Jim111

cycles

Postby bgriffis17 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:52 am

do perch go through cycles, as a seven year or so in n.cen. ind i have some good? perch lakes witch i hit hard when we get ice but only hitem every few years apart?
bgriffis17

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Postby Jim111 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:07 pm

Great question! I honestly don't know, but I have noticed that our favorite perch lakes also seem to have some years, or even groups of years, that are MUCH more productive than others. I wonder why that is? I doubt it's from fishing pressure, as there still seems to be tons of small fish in the lake. It's the larger ones that seem absent some years? -Jim
FLAG!
Jim111

Postby trout » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:51 am

crappies run big to small every 4-5 years here at a local lake not shure about perch cycle.
trout

Postby litchfield fisher » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:41 pm

I am not sure ethier but I have noticed the same thing our perch lakes are really good some years and really slow others so it looks like enough people have seen it that I would belive they do
litchfield fisher

cycles

Postby JRD » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:39 pm

i know that the walleye run in cycles - the walleye in saginaw bay have been on the up-swing the last few years - perch in lake st. clair seem to run in cycles - unfortunitly i think it's currently on the down side - seems like the last few years the fish have been running on the small side - lots of dinks but the big yellow bellies are few and far between - last season i had to sort through forty or fifty fish to pull 1/2 dozen over 10 inches. Will have to see how it goes this year...
JRD
Never spoil a good fish story by telling the truth ... ...
JRD

Return to Perch