Favorite Perch rig for Ice Fishing ?

Talk about perch fishing through the ice - get your yellow perch fill here.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Jim111

Re: Favorite Perch rig for Ice Fishing ?

Postby JUSTINM » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:53 pm

I LIKE 4LBS FIRELINE ANY SMALL GLOW JIG WITH A PERCH EYE 20-30 A DAY MOST OVER 10 INCHES.
FIRST ON AND LAST OFF
JUSTINM

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Postby spanky » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:27 am

I read the replies and noticed there were lots of heavy tackle being used for perch. I also use the jigging Rapalas and Swedish Pimples for walleye and also catch lots of perch that way.... but I wanted to share a story because Perch aren't always slamming minnows and minnow look-a-likes. Much of the time they are feeding on tiny stuff.

Anyway, the story goes liKe this. My friends dad had got his limit of perch two days in a row out of the same hole on the small jigging Rapala. He told my friend and we went back on the third day. My friend insisted on using the Rap because it worked for his dad the previous two days. I used my usual plastic tail 'The Whip' http://icefishingtime.com in blood red and motor oil on a #8 tear drop with 2lb test line. The #8 was plenty heavy to get it down 14'. Long story short, I iced 30+ nice perch and he caught only 7.

I went back a week later and word had gotten out about the Perch bite and everybody around me was jerking Raps or tip-downs with minnows. I finessed them with the small stuff tipped with 'The Whip' and got another 3 doz while listening to everybody complain they aren't biting.

I guess I wanted to share that although you can catch a 6" perch on a 7" crank bait in the summer, you might have to go to the hardwater bluegill tackle to catch perch.
spanky

Postby lacrossplayer » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:20 pm

Try Crappie nibble Tinny marshmallow looking bit in front of a meal worm 2" to 3" around 30 feet Orage jig head works
lacrossplayer

Postby KenDOdoubleG » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:13 pm

Wow, I really like the looks of the whip. Gonna have to get some and work up some fish.
KenDOdoubleG

Postby carmifisher » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:43 am

All time favorite? Gotta kick it old school. Wooden jig stick with a chrome flasher, one hook hanging 8 inches below it, one the same distance above it. Put a fathead on the top hook, an eye on the bottom. I've filled 6 gallon pails with this rig. Wind doesn't blow your line around, you can stir up the silt, no reel or guides to ice up. Don't get me wrong, I do quite a bit of jigging, but this rig works day in and day out.
carmifisher

Postby Woodsman » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:18 pm

Yesterday on Lake Simcoe a small northland forage minnow tipped with white maggots was the ticket.
I was fishing 47 fow & as soon as you could get the jig down you had a solid hit. Most fish between 9"-11".
Many were spitting out scuds (similar to small white maggots) as they got to the hole.
Living proof that beer builds better bellies.
Woodsman

Postby webster » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:09 pm

My favorite Perch rig is my tip ups 36 pound braided with 3 feet of 6 pound leader with shiners I love to watch the flags go up. The jig rods 4 pound test with #1 swedish pimple tiped with maggots or minnow heads
webster

Re:

Postby webster » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:57 pm

spanky wrote:I jig The Whip with a jigging pole. I also have used it on a tip-down if I'm getting a little wind action. Probably wouldn't work under a tip-up.
Whip web site

Read this post on Sunday clicked on the whips site have my order all here today I am impressed with the service and the looks of the product. Can not wait to try them
webster

Postby iowawalleye » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:34 pm

scmelik wrote:my favorite rig is a small tear drop about 8-12 inches above a pilkie? I could tell you what a pilkie is but I would have to kill ya :) :lol:

You mean these? :)

Here you go everyone! Really good on perch!

http://shuckslures.com/jiggerminnow.html
iowawalleye

Postby admin » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:58 pm

I'm having great luck using small Salmo chubby darters with a minnow head tipped on the front treble. Love trebles for good hooksets.
admin
Site Admin

Postby 66Birdman » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:32 am

1/8 oz Kastmaster, Jigging Rap, Darter or pretty much anything tipped with cutbait or an eyeball. Idaho perch are stupid and hungry. doesnt matter what you put down the hole as long as it has cutbait
66Birdman

Postby pail tail » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:03 am

I use a small swedish pimple orange ice w/ a shiner head, I use 4# floro on that rod. That lure seems to work best for me catching perch.
pail tail

Postby bui boater » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:17 pm

i drill 2 holes as far apart as i can in ther shanny, on one pole i use a 1/12 oz kastmaster with half a minnow, and on the other some variation of a rapala jigging minnow, with the half of the minnow.
it didnt smell like that when i ate it
bui boater

Previous

Return to Perch