My pike set up.

Discuss ice fishing for northern pike - from tip ups to slammers to jigging; everything gators.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Jim111

My pike set up.

Postby Hickgtx600f4 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:12 pm

well just thought i would post up the usual set up i use for pike. normaly we fish in 3 to 15 fow and on the edge fo any drop off. We usualy use 40 up style tip ups and they work great. normaly a steel leader on a large treble. add a large split shot to hold the bait down and generaly set the hook about 6 foot under the ice and mark this with a button. this helps to mark your line if you have a flag and wanna know if any line was taken out. some prefer small bobbers or a knot. use whatever works best you. :wink:

When using large bait that trips your flag easily you can add a half a clothes pin and pinch the line a little to keep the bait from jerking on the spool and tripping the flag.

The owner of one of our local bait shop's showed me this trick when I told him that I didn't like to use large bait because it kept tripping the traps. it was such a simple fix that worked so well.
Hickgtx600f4

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: My pike set up.

Postby 56987 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:25 pm

Hey Hick
Nice mod to the trap!

Im gonna have to share that one. :thumb:
Rick

Postby surflizard » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:20 am

Nice setup Hick, good to see the clothes pin mod, an oldy, but a goody !
Image Drifter Stix Rule the Hardwater
surflizard

Postby guinea » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:54 am

Thanks for sharing that, Hick! I was just saying the other day that I'd like to try more pike and pickerel fishing this winter. I did buy some steel leader, but now I'll go to the dollar store for clothespins. :thumb:
guinea

Postby snowman6902 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:44 am

Thanks for that tip Hick. I had that problem a couple of times last winter. The bait tripping the flag. :beer:
snowman6902

Return to Northern Pike