how deep?

Discuss ice fishing for northern pike - from tip ups to slammers to jigging; everything gators.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Jim111

how deep?

Postby davejohnson2 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:10 am

when you guys fish for pike how deep do you usually set? we were fishing over about 6-7 feet of water and catching fish about 2-3 feet of the bottom, now, say you were fishing 15+ how deep would you set? i was thinking about 2-3 feet off the bottom
davejohnson2

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: how deep?

Postby Jim111 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:36 pm

I've fished pike quite a few years now. Up until just before spawn time, truly big pike are seldom found in the shallows, from what we've experiened. Lots of fish in the 3-12 pound size in shallow, but the real lunkers (fish of 18-30 pounds) tend to stay deep, both in summer and the dead of winter and suspended too. We've caught quite a few very large pike in mid winter in the deeper parts of those lakes that have them, and often halfway down. In many cases, this meant fishing 20 feet down, over 35-40 feet of water. As to the "whys" of this, I'd only be guessing. These big fish don't feed often either and usually have much bigger baitfish inside them, than most would guess! We've found perch in them that were 12 inches or better! So using 6-8 inch baits, although that might seem large, isn't necessarily so, when it comes to big pike. Those who fish pike a lot can attest, I'm sure, to 4-5 pound pike easily taking a foot-long sucker for bait.... -Jim
FLAG!
Jim111

Postby bum » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:33 pm

i have always fished pike in shallow bays never that deep not saying you can't. i am used to the pike in the summer being in the deep holes of the lake 30-50 foot to stay cool and in winter in the shallow bay they come in from the deep to eat gills etc.. and the pike have always been under what they are eating. like in 5 foot of water they will be four foot down it's just how they hunt cause there eye are in the top of their head. and you set you line two three foot down. the problem with just guessing three foot off the bottom is it wrong! you need to use hi tech equipment like lowrance sonar with all the bells and whistles that can tell you what the temp is at that depth. cause the fish are suspended in the thermocline so if there 15 foot down you may want to be at ten foot down depending clarity. that could be 15 foot of a 35 foot water column. most of the time i will fish shallow water point or bays that hold lot of gill's that the pike can feed on it is easier to find them that way. you can also fish along the weed lines but like said it could be 15 -35 foot deep and they can be suspended in the thermocline.
bum

Postby bum » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:49 pm

here is some good reads on the subject that i found another good source would be infishermen.com. from what was said you should fish the bait on the bottom at one of the link's but like said i am use to fishing them in the water that lead up to the shallow bays or the shallow bays. not deep water this is early seaon pikeing as refered to by these links. deep water fishing is refered to as late winter fishing. any ways good luck on this hope this helps out.

http://www.theoutdoorwriter.com/fishing/pike.htm
http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/pike-ice-fishing101.php
bum

Postby ICE WANDERER » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:19 pm

I've caught pike on the edge of a drop off, set the tip-up in 6' of water, the bait fish come up from 20' or so & the pike ambush them. I've also caught pike in 50' of water 2' off of bottom. Remember pikes eyes are on top of their head so they are looking up naturally, so don't be afraid to keep you bait up.
ICE WANDERER

Return to Northern Pike