HELP ME CATCH PIKE IN COLORADO.

Discuss ice fishing for northern pike - from tip ups to slammers to jigging; everything gators.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Jim111

HELP ME CATCH PIKE IN COLORADO.

Postby JUSTINM » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:47 am

I AM IN COLORADO AND NEED HELP CATCHING PIKE? I TRY CHUNKS OF SUCKER AND TROUT NO LUCK. THE PAN FISH ARE EASY. BUT PIKE ARE GIVING ME A HARD TIME. TOMARO WE ARE GOING TO HARVY GAP AND THERE A TON OF PIKE. I AM GOING TO USE STEEL LEADERS AND A MIX OF PEACH AND SHAD FOR BAIT. FISHING ABOUT 1 FOOT OFF THE BOTTOM IN ABOUT 30 FEET OF WATER. ANY HELP WE BE GREAT. THX
JUSTINM

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Postby don1010 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:35 pm

Hey Justin,

I have always caught pike much more shallow than your fishing, about 2-5 feet deep. From what I know, pike lurk in the shallows along weed beds, coves, and points. I use a big live gold shiner or a sucker about 2 feet under the ice. My leader is a 40lb mono pre rigged striper hook. Hope this helps Good luck.
don1010

Postby JUSTINM » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:46 pm

HEY THX. WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT PIKE HANGING OUT WERE THE PEARCH ARE?
JUSTINM

Postby don1010 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:25 pm

yea you will find them with perch they like the same kind of habitat, weeds with access to deeper water. Pike are site hunters try using live bait or if its slow a whole dead shiner.
don1010

Postby primusaik » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:59 pm

Hello everybody! I just stumbled on this website while at work :P....but I think I may be able to help the gentleman in CO. I grew in SD an have lived in WY, MT and unfortunately, now am in Arizona. Yuck. Anyway, what I have found to work for ice pike most everywhere is to fish a variety of depths with your tip-ups. Depending on the number of lines you can use in CO, I would find a shallow bay or ledge with weeds or wood adjacent to deeper water (say, 15-30 ft). Start you tip-ups shallow in perhaps 2-4 feet of water, and run tip-ups out to the deeper water. Pike will range anywhere in this depth range, with bigger fish typically deeper. Remember, though, that big pike are creatures of cold water. This means they are almost always deep during the warmer times of year unless they have access to cold (less than 60 degree water) in shallow areas. However, with ice pike the whole lake is open for big fish to roam. Anyway, Pike over deep water often cruise high in the water column looking for dead fish that have floated up and are trapped up against the ice, so don't be afraid to set you tip-ups just a few (maybe 3 ft) below the ice. In my experience pike in deeper water are either cruising high in the water column looking for dead stuff under the ice, or down on the bottom harassing perch and suckers. Always have your bait 6-12 inches off the bottom. Also, great, and I mean great, fun can be had using a stiff ice-jigging rod (I love my 28" LightningRod made by Berkely) equiped with a Northland Buckshot Spoon (1/4oz or larger) tipped with a single whole fathead hooked throuh the back. Pike seem to LOVE the buckshot rattles. Use this anywhere you think pike may be, although I tend to use this set-up in shallow water where more but generally smaller pike are found. Also, there is only one bait you need to use for pike on tip-ups. Smelt. You can find them bagged in the frozen food sections of most grocery stores. Smelt have been the best bait everywhere I have tried them. Pike are notorious scavengers, and the smell of oily smelt draws them right in. Also, big walleyes love smelt as well. Can't go wrong. Using the general guidlines I outlined, you should be able to catch walleye and pike on tipups once figure out the details on your local water. Walleye usually won't show up until dusk, and you will find that the walleye will start to hit your deep tip-ups first and move shallow as dark progresses. Whew...that's alot to read, but it's what has worked well for me. Good luck!
primusaik

Postby redruff » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:10 am

I've fished pike all my life.

I tend to look for structure such as a weed line along a drop off.
As mentioned earlier, pike are ambush sight hunters. They love to ambush small fish in weed beds etc. They are also territorial...they will come and check out things they may view as a threat to their hunting territory.

So I look for 15-20 feet of water along a weed line, if there is a drop off, all the better. I ALWAYS use live whole bait in the winter and keep if fresh. The more it wiggles the better. I tend to use medium sized bait. It sounds odd, but it seems the bigger the bait the smaller the pike.
Don't be afraid to move. I often start the day by punching a line of holes that run from shallow to deep. Then if I get one at a particular depth, I set my other lines perpendicular at the same depth.
Hope that helps...don't mean this as a dig...but in MN pike are some of the easier fish to catch.

Oh ya, one last thing, I tend to stay a little further up from the bottom. In 15ft of water I will often fish 5 feet up from the bottom.
So much water so little time.
redruff

Postby don1010 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:49 pm

In a place called Land of 10,000 lakes I'm sure they are easy! ha ha. In Mass most of our lakes are shallow a few with deep holes about 40-50' deep other wise shallow. What size pike are you catching over there?
don1010

Postby redruff » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:06 pm

Routine pike around here are 4-5 lbs.
Some lakes tend to have smaller populations and some a LOT bigger.

OK, I'll give the 10,000 lakes...but tough to shot an elk around here! LOL...
its still about structure, find one of those holes that has a weed line along it. Find ten of water coming up out of one of those holes with weeds and give it a shot.
redruff

Postby primusaik » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:36 pm

redruff makes some excellent points. One thing I would like to clarify is the depth off the bottom I suggested. I didn't do a very good job of exlaining myself...again. Anyway, 5 feet or so off the bottom is real good for pike....if they smell or see something they like they will definitely move off the bottom to grab it. I keep things closer to the bottom becuase I like the walleyes I get while pike fishing. I haven't found walleye to be particularly willing to move more than maybe two feet at the most off the bottom to take something. Perphaps most important is that I that I am missing pike fishing so close to the bottom (pike will look ahead and up when searching, not so much down, at least according to my AquaView((I dont use it when fishing, but when trying to learn)) but man, I love the 3+++ pound walleye that my friends that do fish higher off the bottom rarely catch.
primusaik

Postby redruff » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:47 pm

primusaik wrote:redruff makes some excellent points. One thing I would like to clarify is the depth off the bottom I suggested. I didn't do a very good job of exlaining myself...again. Anyway, 5 feet or so off the bottom is real good for pike....if they smell or see something they like they will definitely move off the bottom to grab it. I keep things closer to the bottom becuase I like the walleyes I get while pike fishing. I haven't found walleye to be particularly willing to move more than maybe two feet at the most off the bottom to take something. Perphaps most important is that I that I am missing pike fishing so close to the bottom (pike will look ahead and up when searching, not so much down, at least according to my AquaView((I dont use it when fishing, but when trying to learn)) but man, I love the 3+++ pound walleye that my friends that do fish higher off the bottom rarely catch.

I'm in total agreement. I spear in 13 feet of water, the decoy is down maybe 4 feet. Northerns come up to it all the time..walleyes swim under it all the time.

You will catch both northerns and walleyes closer to the bottom, you will rarely catch a walleye high up.
So if I'm fishing an area NOT known for its eyes...I tend to stay high. If the lake has both, I go closer to the bottom. my 2cents...I'll take an eye over a pike ANY day!
redruff

need to find pike

Postby shoe80 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:01 am

hi every one i am looking to find pike in colorado. this would be my first time so any thing helps thanks.
shoe80

Postby redruff » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:50 am

I like to think of pike like any other hunting. they are a predator and move from cover to food in a fairly predictable fashion.
So they can be scouted in advance. Pick a lake that has pike in it. Go to your DNR site and see if they have lake census info etc.
Then get a lake map.
Find structure where weeds lines meet rock piles, drop offs, sand flats or some other feature where two different structures come together. Weedlines are the best as pike are ambush predators.

Start out in 10- 15 feed of water along a weedline that joins some other structure, I prefer a big drop off and set up just outside the weedline.
redruff

pike

Postby shoe80 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:10 am

any thing else like what kind of set up i should use
shoe80

Postby redruff » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:39 am

I use a tipup. I back it with a dacron or waterprrof line something in the range of #40lb. Then a 20lb flurocarbon leader. Then if I'm fishing exclusively for pike I put a small 4in steel leader on. Bait of choice......Mine is a Big shiner on a Red mustad hook or a smaller treble if they are legal in your state. hooked behind the dorsal.

I set it down about 3 feet off the bottom.
redruff

pike

Postby shoe80 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:01 pm

do you use bait more or sppiners
shoe80

Next

Return to Northern Pike