Favorite walleye Lure

Talk about fishing walleyes through the ice - tips, tackle, techniques, etc. Everything having to do with walleye fishing. Share your walleye pictures here!

Moderators: iowawalleye, Jim111

Favorite walleye Lure

Postby nathanh » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:33 pm

Just wanted to pick everyones brain for their favorite early ice season (or all ice season) walleye rig??? lure and minnow or whatever. it will be interesting to see what everyone else LOVES!
nathanh

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Postby Brokenwing » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:36 pm

Last year was a spoon tipped with a minnow.

Rich
Brokenwing

Postby MadFish » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:26 pm

Last year on the lakes around my area we had good luck using live shiners about 3in long on a small treble right off bottom..
Live to Fish!!!!
MadFish

Postby nathanh » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:58 am

I am a big fan of the Rapala jigging raps tipped with a minnow head. great for eyes and Perch. the salmo chubby darter also works well. love anything that glows!
As my father has always said "Awefully hard to catch ANYTHING sittin on the couch."
nathanh

Postby Jim111 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:45 pm

I too am a big fan of Rapala jigs, but for walleyes I use tip-ups in the shallows at night, after dark, using small/medium live shiners with a very small (or no) weight and single #6 hook. They'll drop a bait at the slightest feel so we hair-trigger our tip-ups and trebles are out. Our tip-ups and flags are all rigged with reflective tape for after-dark fishing too. Quick check with a hand-held spotlight shows any flags, even from quite a distance away. We tend to fish in 5-8 feet of water after dark and drill extra holes before dark so we can "hole-hop" as the bite progresses in closer, the later it gets. Action often goes until well after midnight, by the way. I've noticed most after-dark ice fishermen fish way too deep. We often have the lakes to ourselves after 9:00 PM or so! -Jim
FLAG!
Jim111

Postby nathanh » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:51 pm

I totally agree i see guys sitting out in 35 to 40 ft up here at night and having a tough go. meanwhile we fish in 4 to 8 ft and usually do pretty well. especially on big walleyes. i also love a plain and simple rig but with a bigger red hook and a sucker minnow usually 3 - 5 inches long. I pulled a 29 1/8 inch eye on that rig from a rattle reel in our shack last year at 3:30 am xmas eve!! biggest i have ever iced!! MERRY christmas to me!! thanks for the insight
As my father has always said "Awefully hard to catch ANYTHING sittin on the couch."
nathanh

Postby LeeMB » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:35 am

Jiggin raps, buckshots, and rattle trap lures are my "go to" lures for walleye's.
LeeMB

Postby Mr.Cumstein » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:57 pm

My set up as in color or bait type depends on the lake. Red hooks or demons on my tip-ups lots of times. Perch ,redtail ,blue/white/red, gold ,and silver colored Salmo's or jigging Raps work well. Bait my hook with Redtails ,Shiners ,Fatheads or Rainbow chubs.
Take a kid fishing
Mr.Cumstein

Postby Mr.Cumstein » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:01 pm

Almost forgot old reliable the Swedish pimple always productive.
Take a kid fishing
Mr.Cumstein

Re: Favorite walleye Lure

Postby Adam Bomb » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:20 pm

Swim Jigs, Fireball jigs, Do Jiggers and Buckshot rattle spoons all do some heavy lifting for me.
Good Luck, Adam
Adam Bomb

Re: Favorite walleye Lure

Postby fishaholic » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:35 pm

JIgging rap #5 Put a bigger hook on it the one from the factory is to small for me tipped with a full minnow or just a head. The buckshot is also on of my go to lures tipped the same way. I always put a dead stick in the hole next to my jigging one just in case they want an easyer meal. :D
fishaholic

Return to Walleye