lake of the woods Late February

Talk about fishing walleyes through the ice - tips, tackle, techniques, etc. Everything having to do with walleye fishing. Share your walleye pictures here!

Moderators: iowawalleye, Jim111

lake of the woods Late February

Postby lfreng » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:53 pm

Going up for some walleye fishin last weekend in February, going out of Shusters Resort. Anyone know how the bite is this time of the year? have never been up there before. Any recommendations for Walleye (lures/bait/techniques... )
lfreng

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Postby Mr.Cumstein » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:19 pm

Off the charts! You'll have a great time. I'm heading up on the last weekend in feb., we slam them hard alot like early ice.
Take a kid fishing
Mr.Cumstein

Postby lfreng » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:03 pm

I am no expert fisherman by any means and this is my first time up there. Looks like the walleye season ends on the 22nd of Feb. Is it illegal to catch em or just keep em after that? Dont want johnny law on our back. I will be happy just eating fat perch... but would hate to hook into a walleye and dnr knocks at the door, small chance but you never know.
lfreng

Postby Mr.Cumstein » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:36 pm

Different regs. on Lake of the Woods. Year round fishing.
Take a kid fishing
Mr.Cumstein

Re:

Postby OutdoorFree Admin » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:53 pm

:poke:
Mr.Cumstein wrote:Different regs. on Lake of the Woods. Year round fishing.

I beg to differ on the year round fishing for walleyes...

It's usually right around the first of April that you can't go after walleye on LOW. lived there for 11-12 years. Usually by then, ice is very iffy anyhow so there's likely no given chance to even chase them. The rainy could be opening on the east end of the lake but good luck! It's heavily patrolled.
This past March we actually fished out of the boat on the odd year the river opened up very early in March so we could still chase them. Did great!
Saw some sturgeon being caught.
The river in Warroad is just opening up by then too. You can't fish basically any further in from the T shaped dock by Lakeview for notherns for spawning reasons also. Walleyes won't be in the river this early. Again, typically boys in brown hanging around making sure that line isn't crossed and only northerns outside size restrictions (nothing between 30-40" I think it is) are being taken.

The limits vary between summer and winter fishing on LOW too. So be aware of that.
Winter, you can have up to 4 walleye and 2 sauger, 3 eyes & 2 sauger, etc but no more than 6 total - all 6 can be saugers. Summer, back to 6 walleye total or any combo of sauger/walleye mix.

The perch are nice when you get them.

Late Feb, fish tend to be deeper on mud/gravel transitions. Mid day on sunny days, almost a guarantee to find your limits of perch and walleye/sauger mix on these transitions. I have found that this is more of a steady, consistent area versus the reefs which are hit and miss.
OutdoorFree Admin

Return to Walleye