how to catch walleye

Talk about fishing walleyes through the ice - tips, tackle, techniques, etc. Everything having to do with walleye fishing. Share your walleye pictures here!

Moderators: iowawalleye, Jim111

how to catch walleye

Postby weedman3 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:39 am

hey guys l,m new to fishing walleye through the ice and need a little help!l'm looking for some cheap tips to catch some walleys morning,day and night tips...l'm fishing in 12feet of water to 16 feet in the channel weedy bottom , i have cought the odd perch here so far but no walleyes i am useing shiners with different type jigs and i have try'd the sweetish pimp with no luck as of yet any help would be great there are many shacks and peeps fishing this area and some have caught some but not sure how there doing it thanx in advance
weedman3

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Postby Mr.Cumstein » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:19 pm

How far off the bottom? Switch it up try different depths off the bottom. Look at old holes where you seen them being caught. Is their bait there? What type of bait are they using? Use plain hook ,split shot ,bobber. Simple works, too. Most important in my mind mono or flouralcarbons leader are you using them? What pound? Swivels? If you are jigging with out them ,you will eventually make your line twist up and start spinning the jig/hook.
Take a kid fishing
Mr.Cumstein

Postby redruff » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:13 pm

IMHO,
Walleye tend to be light sensitive. That is best bite is in low light conditions. They will often move up into shallow regions in low light to feed.
With my rigs I keep them as simple and natural as possible, often with just a split shot and hook on a mono leader like Mr. Cumstein says.

So I often start in deeper water say 25 feet and then move in shallow as it gets darker. After sunset I'm usually in about 12-15 feet of water.
I also like to be very quite on the ice around the holes. I try not to walk around the holes if I don't have to.
So much water so little time.
redruff

walleye

Postby weedman3 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:49 pm

Hey guys! I do try and be very quite also when i walleye fish! I also use a swivel with 8 pound tess line...I am fishing in 12 to 15 feet of water the bait of choice is shinners around i never try'd bare hook witch # sign and type J hook or 3 prong? Normaly i use jigs with shinners maybe thats why l'm not catching any :( Do u guys jig or just let the shinner dance???And what size /// I have try'd bounceing of botton 2 turns up to 5 turns up different jigs,sweetish,williams tip'd with minnow etc....
weedman3

Postby Mr.Cumstein » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:28 am

I'll jig it every so often. What I learned is a very active walleye will run 3' off the bottom, so when you jig bring it up 4' off the bottom at lease. That way you grab the fish's attention luring it in to bite. You know maybe go to a smaller bait or try baby bullheads they love them ,too.
Take a kid fishing
Mr.Cumstein

Beads

Postby bioteach1747 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:51 pm

I've posted this advice before, but I have had very good luck with it. I always place a few beads on the line just above a plain hook with a crappie minnow or small shiner. I even set up my tip-ups this way. This works well on ice and during the spring. If you have small treble hooks place two crappie minnows side by side and facing the same direction.
bioteach1747

humminbird 535 portable

Postby weedman3 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:45 pm

Hoping to go fishing for walleye this weekend and i pick'd up 535 portable!! This will help me locate the fish and find out what size to...I made the transducer 100% portable just by adding it to a three foot cross style tip up set up ....I'm pump'd to find some walleye's "See If They Can Resist The Old Shinner with some beed's/.,.,/,,l&$%^$&$#%#$@ :twisted:
weedman3

walleye's

Postby weedman3 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:55 pm

I did make it out ice fishing the other day caught a few small perch but still no walleye's. I was fishing in 16 feet of water marked only one fish on the finder and the perch were marked as bait fish they were so small....But i have a trip up north to Raven Lake planned! There are some big pike in there walleye and white fish so i intend on catching some fish! My uncle has a camp on the lake so i will be going out there friday night till monday afternoon should be a blast .......
weedman3

Postby icemantrav » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:28 pm

u not cachting them cuz there not there, move around more!

also when ur minnows dies cut then up in like 4 pieces and smush them, throw them down the hole,
TURNS IT INTO A FEEDING FRENZY!!

good luck
-icemantrav :D
icemantrav

Postby fishman » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:12 pm

what lake you cutting them up in cause that and live minows are illegal in alberta
fishman

walleye's

Postby weedman3 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:29 pm

southern & northern ontario thanx for the tip l 'll try that this weekend :)
weedman3

Return to Walleye