Anybody trapping?

Discuss information on ice fishing information, ice fishing gear, ice fishing tackle, ice fishing supply and all types of stuff used for ice fishing.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Michigan, Wizardofoz

Anybody trapping?

Postby 56987 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:32 am

Put the traps out for the first time this season.
I went out yesterday afternoon to my usual spot to see that there was construction on the bridge just up from where I put my traps in. The water was dirty and had lots of silt covering all the rocks and weeds. I went back this morning and pulled them to find :? 6 sucker minnows and a couple of small minnows that I ended up throwing back in the creek.
I re-baited the traps and threw them in some deeper water farther down the road. Maybe I'll have to trap up stream of the bridge.
Hope things change today.
Rick

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: Anybody trapping?

Postby Hickgtx600f4 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:32 am

I wish we could trap our own minnows here in NY. Dang bait laws. We used to trap a little creek near the house when I was a kid. Chop a hole thurs. Night and have enough minnows for the weekend. Boy do I miss that.
Hickgtx600f4

Postby dylan8351 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:05 am

No trapping in Vermont either. I don't use bait much anyway. Only smelt a time or two a winter and they aren't legal to be trapped.
dylan8351

Postby Androwildfire » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:50 pm

i have started traping and building my new bait tank! So far I have had really good luck with finding the bait mow i just have to get my rear end in gear! Also a good friend of mine asked if i could build him some traps, and of course i said yes! so now the key is to figure out what style Im going to make....... what works best for you guys and gals? and what kind of bait do you use in them?

thank you,
Andro
Tight lines,
Andro
Androwildfire

Postby 56987 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:13 pm

Trapping has been pretty crappy here in the last week. Snow falling today cooling everything off. Hope to fill the tank before freeze up!

Sad to here you guys have trapping laws down there. I still buy some minnows, but normally only have to buy them iduring the last month of ice fishing.

Hey Andro
Any pictures of your tank set up?
Rick

Postby Androwildfire » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:28 pm

Its in the making i will post some pictures when it is complete
Tight lines,
Andro
Androwildfire

Return to Ice Fishing Equipment