new tip up with rod, I fish pro, Brainerd MN

Discuss information on ice fishing information, ice fishing gear, ice fishing tackle, ice fishing supply and all types of stuff used for ice fishing.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Michigan, Wizardofoz

Re: new tip up with rod, I fish pro, Brainerd MN

Postby Lefty » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:45 am

I wasn't done posting but thanks. I left more of a description on there.
<===Lefty===
Lefty

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: new tip up with rod, I fish pro, Brainerd MN

Postby oldman » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:07 am

I love these things! I found them on line at the end of last season and bought them this past December. In NJ we're allowed 5 lines, 4 of them are now I Fish Pro tip ups. So far this season I've used them at -4, and 30mph winds with blowing snow and they've performed flawlessly. Following the directions for setting them correctly in the wind, the line won't get tangled in the flag. One drawback is that they need a bit more tending in super cold temps. But, if you're as diligent as you should be tending your gear, it won't matter. Also if the ice is smooth and it's really windy you need to leave some slush around the hole to keep it from blowing off the hole.

As far as the trigger is concerned, I use small rubber bands wrapped over the slot several times.(I use the ones from my daughter's rainbow loom- about 1/2" in diameter). I slide them up out of the way, slip the line in and the slide them back over thereby closing the slot and keeping it on the line. So far in about 12 days of fishing I've only lost one when the rubber band broke. The biggest problem I had at first was setting up bobber stops on my line. I use power pro and traditional slip bobber stops don't hold up to being slid up and down the line. Instead, I use a short piece of fluorocarbon line tied on in the same manner as a bobber stop. To keep the line from blowing off the spool when the bail is open, I simply use a strike guard set very lightly.

Overall, I've been more than pleased. Even though they were a bit expensive that negative is by far outweighed by all of the positives. They've allowed me to fish with lighter line and terminal tackle. They've also made it much easier to feel strikes and set the hook so I'm missing fewer fish than I ever have. Much of the time I'm fishing for perch and crappie and they are very effective on these light biters. Last weekend I fished in a tournament where all of the folks around me were commenting about how much fun it looked like I was having playing all of my fish on a rod and reel. They've added a whole new dimension to my ice fishing and I know I'll never go back to old school tip ups.
oldman

Previous

Return to Ice Fishing Equipment