My pop's jiffy issue

Discuss information on ice fishing information, ice fishing gear, ice fishing tackle, ice fishing supply and all types of stuff used for ice fishing.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Michigan, Wizardofoz

My pop's jiffy issue

Postby icefiend357 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:48 am

Here we go started and ran fine for years this season getting it ready and pow issue starts and runs fine when you open it up it goes then wants too die after bout a minute or so let off it stays running tried new plug not that the 1 in there was bad fooled with the gas/air mixture no luck there cleaned tank and carb no change heard maybe vent cap no issue there for all of what we did no change still runs fine unless you open the throttle for a bit then it wants too die let off it runs fine weird it opens up runs then wants too die any help will be greatly appriecated ps it's an old white jiffy if that helps
Hunting and Fishing is what i do!!!
icefiend357

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: My pop's jiffy issue

Postby nealhoward » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:42 pm

The symptoms that you describe were the same that I experienced with my Jiffy. I bought the 3hp unit last year, and right off the bat had a problem with it to idle without dying. I took it to a small motor shop, and they made a carb adjustment which solved the issue. This year when I put it to use, I had the problem of it not being able to run wide open. I always made sure to open the vent on the gas cap before using, but each time I would open the throttle it sounded as if it was being starved of gas. I took it back to the shop, and they found that the vent cap was not functioning properly. They put a new vent cap on the unit, and now it runs like a charm.
nealhoward

Postby Walters » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:48 am

My bet is a carb clean would fix this issue. Did you put any gas stabilizer in the tank during the off season? Could be a bad tank of gas.
Walters

Postby Walley_eye » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:05 pm

Sounds lime the same issue I had with my outboard.

Turned out I had moisture in the fuel which would plug up the jet and leave me stranded.

Just adding something else for you to check.
Walley_eye

Postby guinea » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:57 pm

If I may add.....I had my Jiffy 30 (old white one lol) redone 3 years ago, and have been adding Seafoam to my mix gas since then and have had no problems.

My best guess is the ethanol is sticking things together; and the Seafoam is good for combatting that.
guinea

Postby surflizard » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:40 pm

Atta girl Guinea !
Image Drifter Stix Rule the Hardwater
surflizard

Postby Kb » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:13 pm

Mine was doing the same, I had a dirty carb and a vacume leak. I have the 50/T, an older model.
Kb

Postby guinea » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:10 pm

50T? Never heard of it. What year is it, do you know?
guinea

Postby steven girard » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:26 pm

Don't know how you cleaned your carb..i got the same issue after cleaning mine cause i used the compressor to shoot air in it,,and lost a little plastic part that goes in a little hole(note that if you used a to mutch tought cleaning stuff like lacker thinner or something contain xilene,,that's can easily make that part gone to) After that,,i got no choice to play with my hi-speed screw to reajust it..and it'snt not running as good as before!

Hope it help!
steven girard

Postby guinea » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:32 pm

Oh no Steven! Do not lose the little plastic part! :lol:
guinea

Return to Ice Fishing Equipment