Line Issues

Discuss information on ice fishing information, ice fishing gear, ice fishing tackle, ice fishing supply and all types of stuff used for ice fishing.

Moderators: iowawalleye, Michigan, Wizardofoz

Line Issues

Postby Rcf » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:23 pm

I need some advice about ice fishing line. Mostly we fish for panfish with an occasional rainbow trout or largemouth thrown in. Two or three pound test is sufficient. But which line(s) reduce freezing? While jigging with a three pound test line today (about 20 degrees) the line quickly looked like an ice rope. The ice build up on the line got to be so thick it would not go through the eyes on the rod. Any ideas? They will be appreciated.
Rcf

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: Line Issues

Postby EyceWalker » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:11 am

I really enjoy my portable shelters with heaters at my age. I have spent many years sittn' on a bucket in the raw elements dealing with your issues of ice buildup. This is how I delt with freezing issues.

I always put new fishing line on my spinning spools and hand line jig sticks. I used 4 lb mono for pan fish jig rods (which we made from old summer fishing poles that broke) and 10 lb for pikes and lakers on the spinning gear. I used 30lb mono for the hand lines for salmon jig sticks. Ice is very abrasive to fishing line and puts small nicks in the line that you can see, which is where the line breaks when fighting in the big one.
For spinning short rods, I always used big eyelet rods so they wouldnt ice up as quick. But when I really needed a light action jig rod, I would incorporate a special move in my jigging motion. I would grab the line as I raised the rod tip and catch the line ice. Either the ice would slide down futher on the line into the water or if you do this move often enough, you can clear the line of ice completely.
Hand line jig sticks are the goto for cold weather for me. Some far north region friends showed me how to do it. It takes some practice to get the feel of the line and become a jig rod yourself by todays standard. With the heavy line it is much more durable so you can be a bit rough with clearing ice from the line and with no rod eyelets to ice up is nice too. The wooden hand line jig sticks are easy to make and I see some places you can buy plastic or wooden ones. I prefer wood over plastic, as plastic in really cold temps can break. You need a kite flying line tender shape piece of wood with about a 12 inch rod shape attached or band sawed as one unit. The rod shape has a hole in the end to run the line through off the spool shape end. Plus, being a short fishing tool, I sometimes would put a spare inside my coat to keep thawed. Then switched them out when I needed to. Todays jig rod are much longer and dont fit in the coat, but you can keep a dry one in the ready so you can switch half way through the day when it gets icey. I hope this helps you on the ice to have a good day of fishing, good luck!
Your friend, EyceWalker
EyceWalker

Return to Ice Fishing Equipment