A successful first trip

A New York ice fishing forum discussing tips, tactics, gear, guides, etc.

Moderator: iowawalleye

A successful first trip

Postby slay-n-filet » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:45 pm

Every year we wait in anticipation for the first trip out on the hard water. My fishing partner and i plan our attack because the details matter and lead to success. The homemade tip downs we added last year are worth there wait in gold for perch and walleye. The tip ups work but the tip downs seem to land us more fish. On those days when the flags go off with no dinner on the string the tip downs are key for those days. Saturday morn I replaced a tip up with tip down after the flag popped three times with no luck,the switch iced my first walleye of the season. Later the same scenario lead to 3 jumbo perch. I did manage to get a second walleye on tip up. We got our limits of pickeral 7 perch 1 blue gill 1rock bass and two walleye. Threw back around 20 pickeral and 10 large mouth. Barley time to pick up jiging rod. Not our best season opener but we had fun grooming the pickeral out of our perch and walleye spot.
slay-n-filet

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: A successful first trip

Postby Hickgtx600f4 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:38 am

Congrats on a successful trip out. I may try to get back out this weekend myself. Where abouts ya located? Norwood area myself.
Hickgtx600f4

Re: A successful first trip

Postby slay-n-filet » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:04 pm

We are in central square area. But we fish all over the state. The warm up this weekend should help shrink some snow into a bunch of ice. Good luck to you if you get out this weekend.
slay-n-filet

Return to New York Ice Fishing