Perch talk

Reports and forum for Alberta ice fishing.

Moderators: iowawalleye, PerchHunter

Where can a guy catch perch or whitefish in central Alberta

Postby BIGJIGGER » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:06 pm

I have tried Pine, Gull and Sylvan lake with very little success is there anywhere that has decent perch or whitefish fishing in central Alberta???
BIGJIGGER

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Postby fishman » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:58 pm

i got some whites on sylvan over along the highway that goes along the lake and even at the kusmo end but havent seen one perch all year on sylvan :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
fishman

FOUND PERCH

Postby fishman » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:54 pm

today on sylvan i found some perch finally just out from the pier about 200-300 yrds then 20-30 yrds est :D :D
fishman

Cow lake

Postby treble » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:47 pm

Went to cow, by Rocky last weekend, but only saw small perch, and not real interested in biting. Saw a couple nice trout, but no bite either. Have been there in summer, and have gotten some nice sized ones, but catch to keeper ratio is pretty low. :shock:
Fish must fear me, I never see any.
treble

Postby dwayne » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:14 am

Cow Lake.I am from Rocky and yes they put pike into the lake that hasnt changed the lake too much .The largest perch I caught was 12inches but you will catch 100 3-5 inchers before you catch one that size.It is a great lake for the kids because even my girls like to catch a fish every 30 seconds.I have seen Large perch 7 or 8 years ago but not for a while.Pike are still fairly small yet but that will change soon.We havent been skunked yet this year but the north west end by the small creek is where i fish always in about 6-8 feet of water.
Last edited by dwayne on Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
dwayne

Postby dwayne » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:23 am

I think when one sportsman is lucky there are 9 that are not.I have went right to a spot that was lucky the day previously and been skunked.I grew up on buck Lake and at one time you could say what kind of fish for supper and go catch your limit of that fish.I am not sure that it is all pressure from the fisherman either.GOOD Luck and this is a great forum.I have been skunked on buck lake more than not.
dwayne

Postby treble » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:57 pm

dwayne wrote:Cow Lake.I am from Rocky and yes they put pike into the lake that hasnt changed the lake too much .The largest perch I caught was 12inches but you will catch 100 3-5 inchers before you catch one that size.It is a great lake for the kids because even my girls like to catch a fish every 30 seconds.I have seen Large perch 7 or 8 years ago but not for a while.Pike are still fairly small yet but that will change soon.We havent been skunked yet this year but the north west end by the small creek is where i fish always in about 6-8 feet of water.

I have heard that 'they'(the powers that be) want to turn it into a trophey lake for pike. My question is why? I'm from leduc area, and have no problem finding pike. But find a good lake to take kids, or catch decent size perch is a 2-3 hour drive. Guess I'm just not a pike fan.
treble

Postby treble » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:04 pm

dwayne wrote:I think when one sportsman is lucky there are 9 that are not.I have went right to a spot that was lucky the day previously and been skunked.I grew up on buck Lake and at one time you could say what kind of fish for supper and go catch your limit of that fish.I am not sure that it is all pressure from the fisherman either.GOOD Luck and this is a great forum.I have been skunked on buck lake more than not.

I regularly fish with my daughter who we tease is the 'fish conservationist'. Its not a bad thing to catch fish all day long and go home with none. Yesterday we caught a really nice whitefish at gull, first one of the season, and when she put it back down the hole it wasn't so bad... :) :)
treble

wtf is with pike in cow lake

Postby fishman » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:21 pm

in the past times me and my dad go there we avent seen any fish. hey has any one herd how the ice is at cow cause i thought there was a tone of flood ice?????
fishman

Re: wtf is with pike in cow lake

Postby treble » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:49 pm

fishman wrote:in the past times me and my dad go there we avent seen any fish. hey has any one herd how the ice is at cow cause i thought there was a tone of flood ice?????

2 weeks ago we were on it, and no flood water, but ice was not as thick as the lakes in the red deer, or edmotnon region. probably 18" was the thickest.
treble

Postby bass » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:39 pm

treble wrote:
dwayne wrote:Cow Lake.I am from Rocky and yes they put pike into the lake that hasnt changed the lake too much .The largest perch I caught was 12inches but you will catch 100 3-5 inchers before you catch one that size.It is a great lake for the kids because even my girls like to catch a fish every 30 seconds.I have seen Large perch 7 or 8 years ago but not for a while.Pike are still fairly small yet but that will change soon.We havent been skunked yet this year but the north west end by the small creek is where i fish always in about 6-8 feet of water.

I have heard that 'they'(the powers that be) want to turn it into a trophey lake for pike. My question is why? I'm from leduc area, and have no problem finding pike. But find a good lake to take kids, or catch decent size perch is a 2-3 hour drive. Guess I'm just not a pike fan.

These two articles by Neil Waugh of The Edmonton Sun may answer your questions. The first Article mentions Cow Lake: (if the links don't work Google his name +Hasse Lake Hassles) and/or this article: Problems With Perch Also check out the Goverment Survey Link in the 2nd article. http://www.edmontonsun.com/OutThere/Col ... 6-sun.html

http://www.edmontonsun.com/OutThere/Col ... 6-sun.html or
bass

Postby fishman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:06 pm

thanks for the info trebel hey if you look for some perch head to gull lake if you go to birch bay there is a spot about 200-250yrds straight out from a littel pink barn on land nice perch there
fishman

Previous

Return to Alberta Ice Fishing