Any spots close to Boston

Reports and info for ice fishing in Massachusetts.

Moderators: iowawalleye, bachtowing13

Any spots close to Boston

Postby bushman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:14 pm

Hi, Im new to the Boston area and really enjoy fishing and hunting in the outdoors being from NH thats what we did during a lot of our free time. Are there any good ice fishing spots in the Boston area, preferably within an hour drive. Any tips on how to fish any of these places or what I should be targeting. I really enjoy salmon and lake trout fishing but enjoy ice fishing in genereal. Any information would be great.
bushman

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: Any spots close to Boston

Postby volume4130 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:19 pm

Hey I've lived in Medford the last year and a half, so I've been fishing here since then. Horn Pond in woburn is supposed to have salmon and trout (not lakers i dont think). I fished there one day and caught a bunch of perch, but i guess there are good fish in there. Lake Cochituate in Natick is supposed to have good fish, but I haven't had much luck there. last year I had good luck out at Eddy pond in Auburn, but I haven't been out there this year. There's some good spots in the area, you're not supposed to fish on half of them...if you look up the pond maps on the Mass Outdoors site, you can get a decent idea of some of the spots in your area if they're listed.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/habitat/ ... d_maps.htm

good luck, be careful of the ice up this way with all the rain/warm weather.
5EMP1RE8
volume4130

Postby akifish » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:16 am

I fish Lake Cohituate, it is pretty good, if you are fishing for salmon & trout and catching perch, sounds like you are fishing the bottom, trout & salmon are fished right under the ice, 3-6 fet of line below the ice. Good Luck
akifish
akifish

Postby volume4130 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:28 pm

good to know, do you just spool out 3-6' and let the bait do it's thing or do you put a sinker on to hold it just under the ice at a certain depth?
5EMP1RE8
volume4130

Postby akifish » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:38 am

What I do is, I put one to two splitshots just above my swivel and usually I finish up with the weights either right at the bottom of the ice or a little lower. Most times the bait doesn't want to leave the hole so I drop the weights down so the bait follows then I bring the weights up where I want them. When ice fishing for salmon and rainbow trout, you want to find the deepest part of the pond/lake and fish the perimeter where the water starts to get shallower, but don't fish the shallows. You will find that you want to set the hook while the fish is on the run with a short set with your wrist. Don't wait till the fish stops, mostly what I have found with doing that is that the fish has eaten my bait and spit the hook. Good luck !
akifish
akifish

Postby bushman » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:17 am

Thanks for the info guys, I will have to try those spots soon, hopefully I will get a day in before the ice melts away, if not there is always next year.. Hopefully ill be able to pull a few trout or salmon out and let you know how the lake panned out.
bushman

Postby IcingtheFish » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:05 am

Hi,

My friend and I have never ice fished or fished before and we are looking for a party or person to tag along with. If you're going ice fishing anytime between Monday, Feb. 20th until Wed, Feb 22nd, we would really like to experience what it's like. So, if you don't mind introducing some newbies to this sport, let me know!

Or perhaps if anyone knows of any ice fishing rental places in those areas, where you can rent equipment and fish right there?

We don't have any permits to fish but we're not sure if its required if you are just tagging along.
IcingtheFish

Postby relgycandy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:25 am

it is pretty good, if you are fishing for salmon & trout and catching perch, sounds like you are fishing the bottom,

Return to Massachusetts Ice Fishing