SW Colorado?

Reports and forums for ice fishing in Colorado.

Moderator: iowawalleye

SW Colorado?

Postby NMbugler » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:26 pm

Hey guys Im new to the site and new to the area. I actually live in Farmington NM but have no ice down here. Where is the best place to ice fish in SW CO. I would love to catch Walleye and perch but trout will do if nothing else. I grew up ice fishing Lake Erie and caught my share. I miss it now that im in the desert.
Any information will help get me started, and will be glad to give info on the San Juan or Navajo lake.
Now that the quackers and Honkers are smarter than a 5th grader im ready for some ice fishing.
Thanks alot
NMbugler

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: SW Colorado?

Postby honyuk96 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:23 am

Hello. I used to live in Telluride, Co. Thye best ice fishing i know of in the four corners region is at Trout lake. The lake sits right alongside Hwy 550, between Ricoh, and Ophir. The lake is full of Rainbows, and the occasional Brown. It fishes extremely well in the winter, easy fishing too. If you go, head straight out from the gazeebo about 50-60 yds. Atlas brand salmon eggs work the best. Fish them 1-3 ft. off the bottom. Small cocktail shrimp work well too, but i'd stick to the salmon eggs. It's nothing to catch 50 trout there in a couple hrs. Phenominal place to bring a kid too. Don't bother swiss cheesing the ice either. One hole is all you'll need. Hope your auger's plenty long, cause the ice is usually 2-3 ft. thick ! Good luck, hope this helps.
honyuk96

Return to Colorado Ice Fishing