Colorado Pike Fishing 101

Reports and forums for ice fishing in Colorado.

Moderator: iowawalleye

Colorado Pike Fishing 101

Postby pike4me » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:02 pm

I will be fishing Stagecoach Reservoir this weekend and haven't really done any pike ice fishing since I moved from Mass. Typically we did best with shiners for pike back there but it seems shiners are not available or illegal to fish with here.

Anyone got any suggestions for catching pike here in CO?

Thanks
pike4me

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

PIKE FISHING

Postby STUMPY » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:39 pm

YOU CAN USE WATERDOGS FOR PIKE IN COLORADO. I LIKE TO USE A QUICK STRIKE RIG UNDER A TIP UP. I HAVE FISHED FOR PIKE AT STAGECOACH IN MY BOAT WITH GOOD SUCCESS BUT NOT ON THE HARD STUFF. GOOD LUCK :!:
HOPE YOUR DAYS ARE FILLED WITH TIGHT LINES!
STUMPY

thanks

Postby pike4me » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:24 pm

Any idea where I would get waterdogs? I just ended up getting some pre-packaged shad minnows. We'll through everything but the kitchen sink at em and see what happens.

Thanks for the scoop.
pike4me

Postby STUMPY » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:43 am

I GET MY WATERDOGS FROM GANDER MOUNTAIN. I WOULD CALL FIRST THEY SEEM TO GO THROUGH THEM FAST. ANY SIZE WOULD BE FINE. GOOD LUCK :!: KEEP ME POSTED HOW YOU DID.
HOPE YOUR DAYS ARE FILLED WITH TIGHT LINES!
STUMPY

Saturday Fishing

Postby pike4me » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:06 pm

Well, we had a good day at Stagecoach 2 of us caught 8 trout all about 12-14". All were caught on jigged spoon. Our tip-ups didn't have any action. We had dead shad minnows on and salmon eggs. A better location could have been made for the tip-up with the shad minnow on. For going for pike I should have been closer to the shore but with out a power auger and 15" of ice I stick to older pre-drilled holes. All in all, good fun.

No waterdogs for me as I can't find a place that sells them around Steamboat.
pike4me

Return to Colorado Ice Fishing