picture of a nice northern pike

Reports and forum for New Jersey ice fishing.

Moderator: iowawalleye

picture of a nice northern pike

Postby taylorham » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:50 pm

just under 20 lbs

taylorham

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

pike

Postby MrCrappie » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:00 pm

very nice fish! caught in NJ?

can you or someone tell me how to post photos to this forum?

THANKS!
"Relase'm unless you gotta eatem"
Tight Lines,
Mr Crappie
MrCrappie

Postby taylorham » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:17 pm

yes caught in wayne/pompton lakes area nj. to post pics I use tinypic.com, upload your photo than copy the link for message boards and just paste that here. Once you hit submit your image will show up.
taylorham

Congrats!!!

Postby FishHead » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:03 pm

If someone showed me this picture, and asked where it was caught, I would have guessed Canada.

But New Jersey? Unbelievable! Please tell me it's not a hoax.

Congratulations on a fish of a lifetime!
FishHead

Record Pickeral

Postby fishgalore » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:07 pm

If that fish was just under 20 lbs. that's a new state record for Pickeral. The current record is over 9 lbs. Get that thing over to a bait store and weighed now!!!! That's a dandy!!! We saw a guy pull an 8+#r out of Aeroflex last Sunday and that was the biggest one I've ever seen!! Hope you can get your name on the new state record!!!
fishgalore

Oops!! Pike not pickeral

Postby fishgalore » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:11 pm

At first glance I thought it was a pickeral! Ooops!
fishgalore

Re: Congrats!!!

Postby taylorham » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:25 pm

FishHead wrote:If someone showed me this picture, and asked where it was caught, I would have guessed Canada.

But New Jersey? Unbelievable! Please tell me it's not a hoax.

Congratulations on a fish of a lifetime!

I can assure you sir that its NJ. Passaic county to be exact. It was friday afternoon (1-23), temps were in the 40s(notice no jacket), ice about 8 inches thick. Its not even close for the pike record which is 30 lbs. Believe it or not another one was caught about 100 yards from us that was 15 lbs and thrown back. Mines going on the wall.
taylorham

NJ Northern Pike

Postby fishgalore » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:08 pm

My brother caught a 19 lb. Northern Pike in Rockaway Twsp back in the late 70's. It measured 36". More unbelievable was it was brought in on 4 lb test line and 2 painters. LOL Really, the painters were working on a house and were watching him bring this fish in for like 15 minutes so they came down to the lake. When the fish got close to land they saw it and actually jumped in the lake to grab it and they threw it up on shore. I don't think there is any way possible that he would have gotten that thing on shore any other way with 4 lb test line. It was tired out for sure and they can fight!! Friday 1/23/09 must have been a good day to fish. A 43" Muskie was caught on Lake Hopatcong. You can view it at the Knee Deep site: http://www.kneedeepclub.org/
fishgalore

Re: NJ Northern Pike

Postby taylorham » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:17 pm

fishgalore wrote:My brother caught a 19 lb. Northern Pike in Rockaway Twsp back in the late 70's. It measured 36". More unbelievable was it was brought in on 4 lb test line and 2 painters. LOL Really, the painters were working on a house and were watching him bring this fish in for like 15 minutes so they came down to the lake. When the fish got close to land they saw it and actually jumped in the lake to grab it and they threw it up on shore. I don't think there is any way possible that he would have gotten that thing on shore any other way with 4 lb test line. It was tired out for sure and they can fight!! Friday 1/23/09 must have been a good day to fish. A 43" Muskie was caught on Lake Hopatcong. You can view it at the Knee Deep site: http://www.kneedeepclub.org/

amazing thing was mine was caught on a 6lb test mono filament leader, we were trying mostly for large mouths but we knew there were some northern pike in there but to say we were surprised was an understatement. thanks for the link

heres a side view

taylorham

Pickeral pics

Postby fishgalore » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:21 pm

Here's some pickeral out of Mt. Hope Pond the first weekend in January '09. We caught 7 between us (Bro & I) plus about 7 perch too. 6 of them were 20"-25" and pretty fat. Only one was about 16".

On the Knee Deep site go to the link on the left "Fishing Reports" to see the video.
fishgalore

NICE!!!!!!!

Postby fishgalore » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:31 pm

That's an awesome catch and on 6 lb to boot!! Woohoo!!! Congrats and thanks for the pics!!!

My bro & I got skunked today but our two buddies caught a brown trout each! One 16" one 17".

fishgalore

browns...

Postby MrCrappie » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:13 am

a couple of nice ones thru the ice...were they from Mt Hope Pond?
"Relase'm unless you gotta eatem"
Tight Lines,
Mr Crappie
MrCrappie

Trout

Postby fishgalore » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:40 pm

No, Big Swartswood!! Both were caught jigging. Not one fish on a tip-up!!
fishgalore

Return to New Jersey Ice Fishing