Size of hooks and line

Reports and forum for all Maine ice fishing.

Moderator: iowawalleye

Size of hooks and line

Postby Icetroller » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:08 pm

Since I'm new at this I need all the help I can get. First question: What is the most common size hook that is used and what color? I've watched on some fishing shows where fly fisherman catch 10 to 15 pound salmon on little hooks. Same about line, what is the best line to use and pound test? Is Berkley Vanish a good brand?
Icetroller

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: Size of hooks and line

Postby Zach_Simpson » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:12 pm

I use number 6's or 8's for trout and up the size if im using bigger bait for big fish i would just use a number 1 or find a bigger hook?
Zach_Simpson

Postby Davis Warren » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:46 pm

Zach bub, i've been doing some research on this same topic and i've read that trout bite good on gold hooks. I went to Walmart and bought some eagle claw gold hooks and some red hooks im going to try when i get out on the ice. also you dont need thick line if your only catching small fish like trout ... also keep in mind with thick line you loose the sensitivity to feel the fish.
Davis Warren

Postby Zach_Simpson » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:54 pm

true but what if you catch a big fish on your little line, it could snap upon a reel in! I use 40 pound but tend to have a monofil leader at the end.
Zach_Simpson

Postby Davis Warren » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:59 pm

yes my traps have 30lb test braid with a 10 pound mono leader ... but if i decide to fish for pike ill throw on a steel leader instead ... how often do you catch a fish over 10 pounds. you can reel in a heavy fish on thin line if you dont horse them!
Davis Warren

Postby surflizard » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:47 am

Here is a really well put together ice fishing tips and techniques site you should check out.

www.Ice-Fishing-Source.com

Surf
Image Drifter Stix Rule the Hardwater
surflizard

Return to Maine Ice Fishing