Best Pop-Up Ice Shelters Help!

Discuss information on a portable ice house, ice fishing shelter, ice fishing hut, ice fishing shanty, or whatever means of ice fishing.

Moderators: iowawalleye, DanburyFisher, Wizardofoz

Best Pop-Up Ice Shelters Help!

Postby rocketskates » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:32 pm

Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum so please be patient with me. 8)

I'm in the market for a portable pop up ice shack. A month ago I ordered the Eskimo FatFish 949i but ended up returning it and getting my money back. Literally the second time we took it out, the poles broke through the fabric. So now I'm looking for a more proven and dependable ice shack. I looked around and read from some people that the FatFish 949i was bad from the start so shame on me for ordering it in the first place. I've also read that a lot of these pop up shelters only last 2-3 years so I'm looking for a shack that people can put their faith in. Two models I've been looking at are the following:

CLAM BIG FOOT XL2000
and
Frabil OUTPOST HUB SHELTER 6003(non thermal)

Any and all help is very appreciated. Just looking to get some feedback from people who currently own or have owned these shacks before. Happy New Year ya'll!

Joe
rocketskates

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: Best Pop-Up Ice Shelters Help!

Postby 56987 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:57 pm

Happy New Year to you too rocketskates!

We have a patient crew here on the chat!
Welcome to the forum!
:welcome:
Rick

Postby rocketskates » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:04 pm

rickl1968 wrote:Happy New Year to you too rocketskates!

We have a patient crew here on the chat!
Welcome to the forum!
:welcome:

Awesome! :thumb: Always willing to take any advice!
rocketskates

Postby timmertel » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:39 pm

I've got two clam shelters. One is a three man hub style and the other is a flip over fish trap (TC Pro) The hub style shelter makes a good warming shack w/ plenty of room for 2 people and gear if youre fishing w/ tip ups or fishing the same area all day. Takes a bit more to set up and the bottom has to be anchored to the ice along w/ the walls if it's windy otherwise the windy side wall tends to collapse.In my opinion, it's just not a very mobile shelter.The spider hub have more parts to them, had to epoxy a pole connection after only a few uses. I bought the fish trap primarily to fish the tournaments we have around here. It's easy to put up and take down, roomy and warm and has a really comfortable seat. Compared to the hub shelter it's very mobile but cost's more. The material on both shelters is very good. So, I guess it depends on how you fish.
timmertel

Return to Ice Fishing House