Newbie Post: Cabela's Ice Team Hub Shelter - 6'x12'

Discuss information on a portable ice house, ice fishing shelter, ice fishing hut, ice fishing shanty, or whatever means of ice fishing.

Moderators: iowawalleye, DanburyFisher, Wizardofoz

Newbie Post: Cabela's Ice Team Hub Shelter - 6'x12'

Postby SMBFAN » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:16 pm

Hello all;

Great forum here, enjoyed lurking around for some time. I am in need of some advice regarding the Cabelas Ice Team Hub Shelter. I own a few ponds and would like a spacious shelter in order to allow my family to fish together, and I thought these looked like they might fit the bill. However, when I read reviews on the Clam model - same dimensions, etc. - they were all very negative and it made me reconsider. My question is does anyone have any experience wth one of these larger tent style shelters, and could you advise this purchase?

I really appreciate your help in advance. Thank you!

Tom Hudson
SMBFAN

Advertisement

IceFishingChat.com

Re: Newbie Post: Cabela's Ice Team Hub Shelter - 6'x12'

Postby Androwildfire » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:09 am

Hello Hello i did some looking around in early summer and found the shappell 6000t to me the best bang for your buck! if your around the sebago lake area in maine come take a look at it.
Tight lines,
Andro
Androwildfire

Postby surflizard » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:03 am

Take the time to find out if the units pole hubs themselves are plastic or metal, the plastic ones are Notarious for cracking in the cold !
Image Drifter Stix Rule the Hardwater
surflizard

Postby guinea » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:10 pm

More hub questions.....

We are considering buying (oh gahhhd I sound married lol) a hub, for the less windy days when it would be easy for 2 of us to put it up. I love my flip, but it's kinda small for 2 when it's closed up (he loves his heat lol) so I end up sitting outside. Don't want a bigger flip, well I do, but it'd be waaay too heavy to drag by hand, although very easy to set up in high winds.
I like the idea of losing 50 pounds on days when it's feasible to set up a hub easier.

He was over checking out our "neighbor's" hub (I don't even know the brand) while it was snowing Saturday, and he said it was raining pretty good in there. I figure there's a lot of stitching for moisture to get through, but then, the stitching is probably better or worse quality in different brands.

People with hubs, do you find leaking to be a huge issue, or would you recommend one brand over the other regarding this problem?
guinea

Postby Joedirt34 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:49 pm

Don't know to much about theses but I have been thinking about one myself . This has been a tough year for a perm owner . Last week when we had all that wind a guy setup next to my shack ( or on top of my shack but that's another story )
Anyways I was talking to the guy and he went on and on about how great it was . Said it anchored down perfect and was warm as could be . He had a black cabelas tent looked to be 8x8 he said 8x12 but I know a box winner I see it !
I did go in was very warm no heater or anything just the black fabric . Went back to my Pub and started talking to my boss about it and no sooner did I say what do you think it went flying by . They chased it 3 more times that day .
Joedirt34

Postby dave b. » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:21 pm

I don't have a hub shelter, however I have been thinking about getting one. I Liked the cabelas one because of the large windows. Reviews say that the insulated ones have less condensation issues inside. I would like a 2-3 person size so if any one has some experience with a specific model please share.
dave b.

Postby Androwildfire » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:27 am

i have used my shappell 6000t all season up to 60mph winds and have never lost it! as long as you have enough anchores in it you will be fine.
Tight lines,
Andro
Androwildfire

Return to Ice Fishing House